20180610_145337.jpg
20180610_150010.jpg
20180610_150025.jpg
20180610_150109.jpg
20180610_150056.jpg
20180610_150103.jpg
20180610_150003.jpg
20180610_145957.jpg

Might be to soon for excellent but I'm really excited, i do have a couple that have those tails creeping upwards but some have longer backs than the ones that high tails so I'm going to keep my fingers crossed.

View attachment 1425155 View attachment 1425148 View attachment 1425147 View attachment 1425149 View attachment 1425150 View attachment 1425152 View attachment 1425170 View attachment 1425178 View attachment 1425176 View attachment 1425177
Might be to soon for excellent but I'm really excited, i do have a couple that have those tails creeping upwards but some have longer backs than the ones that high tails so I'm going to keep my fingers crossed.

I would watch out breeding the first splash cockerel. He has a lot of visible leakage on his chest, and if there is that much visible leakage think how much more he has that is hidden by the white from the splash coloring. Chooks man always advised using caution and if possible avoiding using splash males because of that reason. A lot can be hiding underneath all that splash.

@Magnolia Hill I will say that if one of the splash males has superior type to the rest of your cockerels, type should take precedence over color. I wouldnt throw out good type, topline, and mass in lieu of color. They have a lot of growing out to do before you have to make any big decisions on your future breeders. The splash birds are very pretty. :)

I would watch out breeding the first splash cockerel. He has a lot of visible leakage on his chest, and if there is that much visible leakage think how much more he has that is hidden by the white from the splash coloring. Chooks man always advised using caution and if possible avoiding using splash males because of that reason. A lot can be hiding underneath all that splash.
I agree, they still got a lot of growing. I'm going to expierment with them when they are grown just to see what happens. I got all kinds of ideas running through my head. I'm going to try and answer alot of question i have that i just can't seem to find anywhere else.

Does anyone here have any personal experience breeding splash cockerels over black hens, if so id really like to know what the outcome was.

I havent personally used splash copper cockerels, only splash females bred to a black copper male but the result of a splash copper male over a black copper female would be 100% blue coppers. If you have black copper females with little to no hackle color, mating the splash cockerel with the chest leakage would improve color of the offspring and throw pullets with better hackle color. In that situation an overcolored male can be useful. But breeding an overcolored male to a well colored female will throw mossy pullets and overcolored males. That is something I've experienced first hand. It's a lot of trial and error to see which pairs produce the best quality offspring. Chooks man taught us about balance in the breeding pen and his words are in my head all the time. :)

That is assuming you meant black as in a black copper with little to no copper and not a black marans. In that case an actual black should not be bred to a black, blue, or splash copper as they are two different color varieties. Blacks are E (extended black) and black coppers are Er (aka brown reds). Two different genetic mutations.

Back
Top Bottom