International Black Copper Marans Thread - Breeding to the SOP

20180116_190718.jpg

Every egg from this week. Not many but nice.

Marchick - Read ChooksMan Post #7007. I messed up a little - BCM is impossible to get lacing but with the SBM it’s possible and desired. ChooksMan says it’s not really understood why the lacing occurs in the SBM - may have something to do with the Silver gene.

Keith
So can you breed the SBM to the Blue Birchen? How does the lacing work with the cross?

So can you breed the SBM to the Blue Birchen? How does the lacing work with the cross?

@marchick,

I’m not a genetics expert by any means but I would think such a crossing would yield the same results as a BBS (Black, Blue, Splash) breeding. If one or both varieties has the lacing gene then I think that would carry forward in the breeding.

I have read that some experienced breeders have crossed a Silver Birchen Marans to a Silver Cuckoo to add the lacing gene to their SBM Line. I would think this would several generations to achieve.

Hopefully ChooksMan will respond to your post as well.

Take Care,
Keith

Otis continues to show improvement. He’s vocalizing and acting like a normal rooster again. He even gave me a little wing dance this morning so I know he’s feeling better. I’m not ready to declare him 100% cured but I’m feeling a lot better it. He’s almost 2 years old and this was his first time to be sick. I’m fairly certain he had gapeworms which was probably carried in by wild birds.

My breeding plan for this Spring hinged heavily on Otis as I want to breed him to my 5 darkest layers (#6-7) in hopes of getting some really nice cockerels and pullets. If these parings workout hopefully I can start line breeding next year.

Keith

Otis continues to show improvement. He’s vocalizing and acting like a normal rooster again. He even gave me a little wing dance this morning so I know he’s feeling better. I’m not ready to declare him 100% cured but I’m feeling a lot better it. He’s almost 2 years old and this was his first time to be sick. I’m fairly certain he had gapeworms which was probably carried in by wild birds.

My breeding plan for this Spring hinged heavily on Otis as I want to breed him to my 5 darkest layers (#6-7) in hopes of getting some really nice cockerels and pullets. If these parings workout hopefully I can start line breeding next year.

Keith

glad to hear otis is better. try to hatch every single egg! good luck.

my pullet is still alive. not better neither worse. she still has something in her crop. it is bigger than corn. when I checked her 3 days ago I think she didn't have anything that big. the rest of grains have been digested. as I yesterday left her outside for a while to enjoy sunshine she might have swallowed a big stone or an olive stone as she was under an olive tree. the first day of her sickness she ate egg only. yesterday she did not want anything but layers mesh. today she ate a few raw olives (pitted by myself first) and sesame seeds. she pecked some mesh and just tasted an egg. she drinks medicated water.

waiting will make me sick.

Read about Mareks and about many other things it can be. My place is very secure as I have no chicken friends for cross contamination and I don't bring in adult birds. I haven't had any changes in my chickens until this last batch of chicks in a very long time.View attachment 1235807 I will just have to wait and see. Everyone was fine yesterday. She is a big pullet.

she caught a cold .fluff up head
don t forget they have been raised under the heat .now they went out in a winter time . you guys are saying is colder this time of the year .
Does happen to me all the time with a 9/12 weeks chicks when they move them to they out door pens .
I give them Antibiotic triple C . work well .

hope she is fine now .

chooks man

Back
Top Bottom