International Black Copper Marans Thread - Breeding to the SOP

she caught a cold .fluff up head
don t forget they have been raised under the heat .now they went out in a winter time . you guys are saying is colder this time of the year .
Does happen to me all the time with a 9/12 weeks chicks when they move them to they out door pens .
I give them Antibiotic triple C . work well .

hope she is fine now .

chooks man
So where is the best place to get triple C in the U.S.? I think it would be a good thing to have on hand. I noticed it says only on ornamental birds. So is it safe to eat the eggs and Chickens? Egg withdrawal time? I know a lot of times it just hasn't gone through all the testing requirements in the U.S. to get approved and labeled for use in chickens. So what is the dosage?

This is killing me! :barnie I got two beautiful eggs today that I want to incubate. I seperated Thor and his three hens. It wont be two weeks till tomorrow is it close enough???? Need chicks!:jumpy
DSCN3711.JPG

I agree.... I think all this bio security stuff might be turn out to be very bad in the long run. I also think if we allowed the hens to hatch/raise the chicks it would strengthen the birds.

Agree with you .
chicks raised by they mama hen get all what they need from her to strengthen they Immune system . through the dust on her fathers .

it is a reason why I m developing a broody line for the future .my chooks are 100% outdoor .free ranging all the year around .they are exposed to a lot wild birds ,So vaccines does not work for me ,I need the old school way to deal with it .
I need to raise chicks under they mama hen outdoor . it is the only way to deal with a free ranging chooks problems .they have to be resilient and strong . no medication at all .

will take 4 or 5 generation of selective breeding to breed the weakest genes out of my flock .

chooks man

So where is the best place to get triple C in the U.S.? I think it would be a good thing to have on hand. I noticed it says only on ornamental birds. So is it safe to eat the eggs and Chickens? Egg withdrawal time? I know a lot of times it just hasn't gone through all the testing requirements in the U.S. to get approved and labeled for use in chickens. So what is the dosage?

yes there is a eggs /meat withdrawal time .the duration time of the medication 5/7 days .

the reason I like it a lot because it is a refine type of Vitamins C .

it is safer for me to use it in the free ranging system . my chooks are mixed with a wild birds ( Parrots /wood duck etc..........) . does not do any harm to the wild birds if they drink the medicated water ( they do most of the time .they know the feeders and the drinkers very well .

I use it as well in the hot days ( very mild dosage 1g/L water ) . Vitamin C help them to deal with a heat .

chooks man

img_2523-jpg.1236419

@Hensndoes

this pattern is called = Quail ( incomplete ) because it is genetically a cross between the ER chooks( BCM in this case) and other family genetic less dominant e+ like your pullet .. one of her parent carries the restrictor genes Columbian Co or Dark Brown Db.

Quail pattern is nicer if it is e+ based with an addition to the Melenizer MI plus the Columbian Co gene as well . e+/e+. Co/Co . MMI plus other genes .

chooks man

I have been reading. The most interesting plus is that it will help with Salmonella.

marans eggs are the only eggs with a natural resistance to Salmonella , because of they thickness and the coat of dark paint . the thin layer of dark pigment seal the egg shell from the bacteria .

chooks man

@marchick,

I believe Silver Birchen Marans (SBM) are supposed to have some amount of lacing which I know is counter intuitive to Black Copper Marans (also a Birchen pattern).

I recall a ChooksMan post a few months back that mentioned a Birchen pattern chook should naturally have some form of lacing but when the French drafted their BCM SOP they preferred a BCM with no lacing which goes against what nature wants to do. Hopefully I didn’t mess up what ChooksMan was saying. If I did he will correct me. I can’t seem to figure out how to search this thread for older post.

Keith

@marchick,

Just an FYI, MCUSA has the proposed standard for Birchen Marans (aka Silver Birchen) posted on its website. This standard proposes the following for both the Male and Female as it pertains to lacing:

1. Head: Silvery white
2. Neck - Hackle: lustrous black laced with silvery white
3. Neck - Front of Neck: lustrous black, evenly and finely laced with silver, free from white shafting
4. Upper Breast: lustrous black laced with silvery white free from white shafting
5. Lower Breast: Dull Black

This proposed standard is for USA so there may be differences for the SBM for other countries. I’m not sure if there is a French SOP for SBM as this Variety I believe is not an accepted variety in France.

Take Care,
Keith

@marchick,

Just an FYI, MCUSA has the proposed standard for Birchen Marans (aka Silver Birchen) posted on its website. This standard proposes the following for both the Male and Female as it pertains to lacing:

1. Head: Silvery white
2. Neck - Hackle: lustrous black laced with silvery white
3. Neck - Front of Neck: lustrous black, evenly and finely laced with silver, free from white shafting
4. Upper Breast: lustrous black laced with silvery white free from white shafting
5. Lower Breast: Dull Black

This proposed standard is for USA so there may be differences for the SBM for other countries. I’m not sure if there is a French SOP for SBM as this Variety I believe is not an accepted variety in France.

Take Care,
Keith

a same as the French SOP .
the Birchen ( silver black ) is accepted by the French. they are working on the Blue .

the lacing on the upper part of the chest of the birchen is very important .

to keep the lacing only minimum and at the upper part of the chest . we need only the rooster to be laced not a hen . the hen should have only silver hackle.

if the hen has a lacing on her upper part of her chest than the rooster should be a black breasted . not lacing .balancing the breeding pen to produce a correct progeny .

chooks man

Back
Top Bottom