International Black Copper Marans Thread - Breeding to the SOP

Tony2's comb looks like it is frostbitten. Very cold here this morning, low 20's. We will be above freezing around 1000. All chickens look good. You would think the hens combs would be worse than the rooster/cockerels.

sorry to hear that .
me I deal with a extreme heat and you guys dealing with a extreme cold . poor marans chooks .they have to adapt to all those different climatic condition . they are hardy .

Guess you guys should breed the rose comb marans .US strain and I should breed the necked neck marans OZ strain .never mind about the French SOP ,Hahaha!!!!!!!!!!!!

chooks man

Sorry about Tony2's comb! I have been putting a heat lamp in my main house. After I started noticing a little frostbite. I hear that it's not good to use a heat lamp but after all the frostbite on the roosters last year. I thought I would give it a try. It also helps keep the water from freezing.

Do any thing you can to keep your chooks worm and safe .

chooks man

The birchen project has to do with getting the color into the standard of perfection. The judges have stated that the birchen pattern involves breast lacing a third of the way down the breast, akin to the pattern of birchen seen on Games. I'm actually excited about the change, as it will make breeding easier. So now many birchen Marans breeders are making the move to include a moderate amount of breast lacing to be in line with the current proposed standard.
Edit: I was behind 5 pages. It's good to see so many answers. I should read ahead before repeating what others say. But if you want to see ideal birchen pattern, the modern games have that down.

the lacing on the Birchen and a coppery spot on the BCM chest are part of the true genetic make up of the ER strain .
there is relation between the color of the ears tuft . color of the shoulder and the lacing/spot on the breast of the Rooster .all 3 are Autossomal coloring not sex linked .

do not pair the male with a laced chest to a female with a similar pattern . we need to balance it ,we are working against the genetic nature of the strain .
I said it before ,the true genetic make up of the ER chooks family is a laced chest all the way down to the thigh . we don t want that .

chooks man

Do any thing you can to keep your chooks worm and safe .

chooks man
Well.... not really. The youngs ones have tarps on an open coop (just wire). They have a heat lamp. They also still huddle up. I put tarps on the adult birds last night because the wind chill was really bad. We don't usually have this much bad weather and I feel my birds are healthier in open air coop versus closed coop.

the lacing on the Birchen and a coppery spot on the BCM chest are part of the true genetic make up of the ER strain .
there is relation between the color of the ears tuft . color of the shoulder and the lacing/spot on the breast of the Rooster .all 3 are Autossomal coloring not sex linked .

do not pair the male with a laced chest to a female with a similar pattern . we need to balance it ,we are working against the genetic nature of the strain .
I said it before ,the true genetic make up of the ER chooks family is a laced chest all the way down to the thigh . we don t want that .

chooks man
Thank you for all the good information! Working with Birchen will be a whole new learning experience for me. It will just take time. They are beautiful and excited to work with them.

@marchick,

I believe Silver Birchen Marans (SBM) are supposed to have some amount of lacing which I know is counter intuitive to Black Copper Marans (also a Birchen pattern).

I recall a ChooksMan post a few months back that mentioned a Birchen pattern chook should naturally have some form of lacing but when the French drafted their BCM SOP they preferred a BCM with no lacing which goes against what nature wants to do. Hopefully I didn’t mess up what ChooksMan was saying. If I did he will correct me. I can’t seem to figure out how to search this thread for older post.

Keith

100% with you my friend .
that what the SOP peoples do .they make up things .they don t understand genetic .

chooks man

Thank you for all the good information! Working with Birchen will be a whole new learning experience for me. It will just take time. They are beautiful and excited to work with them.

I think they are gorgeous Silver over a Black is more attractive .

a problem is the silver is very hard to keep it pure not getting yellowish in the free ranging system like mine .out all the year around .the sun will damage the silver .

the Birchen show breeders in this country will keep they show bird indoor all the year around .to keep the silver pure almost white .

chooks man

20160325_125656_001-jpg.1235644

@RedBanks
love the Splash pullet . love the cat too not as much as the Splash .

chooks man

100% with you my friend .
that what the SOP peoples do .they make up things .they don t understand genetic .

chooks man
That makes no sense! So the SOP calls for lacing. The SOP goes against genetics. So it's like the Munsters where genetics don't apply. So Don't go by SOP and we want either the hen or rooster to have lacing. The other one clean breast with no lacing. Did I get that right??? :confused::lau:gig

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom