International Black Copper Marans Thread - Breeding to the SOP

Hi All! I have a question for you. I hatched some Marans this spring from a few different lines and only ended up with one pullet unfortunately. I had a number of cockerels, but have chosen one that has stood out to me. Would you mind letting me know the quality of the Marans I have. I don't have any intent on showing them, but would still like to work on bettering lines within my flock at home. They came from fairly dark eggs (the pullet from the darkest egg I hatched). These guys were born around mid June, so they are still very much maturing!

The cockerel was being stubborn for photos, but here he is - he's quite hefty and solid, but wouldn't let me get a good angle to show this. I will try to get a better photo from above and front later.

96C5D273-092B-41BD-A6D5-0D048E311E1B.JPG

The pullet was a bit more cooperative. Please not that her feathers are normally tight along her body - we had a good breeze on today and she insisted on standing right in it!

9194FEF3-5578-46D4-B4A8-90DA02740B24.JPG

BDBF7FD4-E207-4481-97A0-60AB428163B6.JPG

Would they make a good pair? What faults should I watch for in the offspring? I plan on adding another couple of lines in the future, but have to start somewhere.

Hi All! I have a question for you. I hatched some Marans this spring from a few different lines and only ended up with one pullet unfortunately. I had a number of cockerels, but have chosen one that has stood out to me. Would you mind letting me know the quality of the Marans I have. I don't have any intent on showing them, but would still like to work on bettering lines within my flock at home. They came from fairly dark eggs (the pullet from the darkest egg I hatched). These guys were born around mid June, so they are still very much maturing!

The cockerel was being stubborn for photos, but here he is - he's quite hefty and solid, but wouldn't let me get a good angle to show this. I will try to get a better photo from above and front later.

View attachment 2414530

The pullet was a bit more cooperative. Please not that her feathers are normally tight along her body - we had a good breeze on today and she insisted on standing right in it!

View attachment 2414527

View attachment 2414524

Would they make a good pair? What faults should I watch for in the offspring? I plan on adding another couple of lines in the future, but have to start somewhere.
How old are they, is the pullet related to the cockerel? Is she laying yet. What is the egg color? Very nice birds, great copper on the cockerel, back looks shorter but I think it is the way he is standing. Pullets eyes are a little darker, mine have to be older before their eye gets the nice orange color. YES I would bred this pair as man as you can. You have too hatch alot of birds to get a few good ones. You have a very good start. TOM

View attachment 2414530

View attachment 2414527

View attachment 2414524

They look nice. 🙂

View attachment 2414530

View attachment 2414527

View attachment 2414524

high quality BC marans . they need to do more growing . need better photos of the cockerel .
are they related ?
chooks man

they are both nice .great body type and long back . love the copper quality and a full body pattern .
they are different type .
one stand tall with less copper on his chest ,the other has a better comb but more copper on his chest .
both they tails have a good angle but they are long and not full .
they look like they have different mothers .because they are different ,they have a lot similarity ,half brothers we expect that .
to work with them need different hens .other wise the amount of copper on the cockerels chest will go over board .
cockerel in the last photo ,standing facing the camera need to be mated to hens with incomplete hackle marking { mean hens with minimum copper on they hackle .}

both need to be mated to hens with a shorter and full tail .not thin and open .
you have done great job .

I will focus in shorting the tails and splitting the flock into few lines ,so can have more control in maintaining all the traits .

chooks man

Back
Top Bottom