International Black Copper Marans Thread - Breeding to the SOP

1636826583496.png

@Bantambird
I like this one too .long body ,long flat back ,correct tail .but the most impressive trait she has is her deep chest and balanced movement . plus her complete hackle marking .
she is sublime .love every thing about her .
chooks man

1636827689533.png

@Bantambird
I do not like this guy light underfluff . he is loaded with a parasitic white . he has more bad than good .I will not use him if I was you .
he is so far from the quality of the pullets as USA is far from OZ.
he is really chunky and low to the ground I give that .
you have high quality hens/pullets and don t see what this guy is bringing to the table .
I m not telling what to do ,I m just sharing my honest opinion .
chooks man

parasitic white will get worst if you breed from from a pair with parasitic white , it is not that bad if only one of the 2 has the white . still will be there ,
parasitic white need a solid breeding program to get ready of it .
I ll breed from a rooster with a parasitic white if he is great on other traits like body type or correct body pattern with nice copper . I will correct the PW later in the breeding .
I ll breed from a hen with a parasitic white if she has a great body type and she lay dark eggs .I will correct the PW later .
your hen seem doesn t have copper ,how about her eggs color and her body type ?
chooks man
She isn't laying yet. I think she was hatched in late August.
IMG_20211113_113456.jpg

View attachment 2897465
@Bantambird
I do not like this guy light underfluff . he is loaded with a parasitic white . he has more bad than good .I will not use him if I was you .
he is so far from the quality of the pullets as USA is far from OZ.
he is really chunky and low to the ground I give that .
you have high quality hens/pullets and don t see what this guy is bringing to the table .
I m not telling what to do ,I m just sharing my honest opinion .
chooks man
I have had a hard time getting any Blue Silver that have redeeming qualities. The Black Silvers are doing very well. I am about to go through and cull out the black silver cockerels and make my next selection for breeders this year. Yes, this blue silver has a lot of parasitic white, but every other blue silver I have bred tends to have straw or copper bleedthrough on the wing bows. This one has the purest silver for the blue silvers. I need to make a pen for just him and the blue girls, while perhaps cycling in some of the more perfect girls in occasionally to try and improve these blues, of which it has been a hair pulling time improving them specifically. Jean here has also hit the 2 year old mark. I am still keeping more of the black silver birds over the blue silver, and am having much better luck with the black silver group.
I will have to include some picks for this year's cockerels, I have had a few standouts. It has been a lot of working with them, seen a lot of good and bad in 8 years. This thread has helped me be a better picker in deciding what is worth working with and why I might want to cull one over another.

Back
Top Bottom