Intervention: Helping Your Chicks Hatch

Pics
thank you I was just so worried
1f601.png
No problem, hatching can be both exciting and nerve wracking all rolled into one!! Good luck with your chick :fl
. One more quick question the chick has been out for over 2 hours and is still wet and barely moving, and the stuff coming out of its but has changed to a glob of blood and a thin string like pink thing...is that ok? It's also bigger and a lot weaker then the others

Last edited:
The glob sounds like it is clotting which is what you want. For now there is not a lot more you can do. At 2 hours it will still be exhausted, even a normal hatch (not assisted) I would still expect them to be tired and not doing a great deal.

Is the glob blood or does it look more like unabsorbed yolk? When they are wet they can look like they have swollen butts, but once the fluff appears it covers it.
Could you post a pic?

The glob sounds like it is clotting which is what you want. For now there is not a lot more you can do. At 2 hours it will still be exhausted, even a normal hatch (not assisted) I would still expect them to be tired and not doing a great deal.

Is the glob blood or does it look more like unabsorbed yolk? When they are wet they can look like they have swollen butts, but once the fluff appears it covers it.
Could you post a pic?
sure this was a little earlier after the long string like thing
it's a more dried up now but the chick is still very weak even though it hatched at around 10:30. The bloody thing has been shrinking

Last edited:
Looks like things have not quite absorbed or it has a bit of a hernia. As you have said it has dried some and if the chick were mine I would still leave it for now and let it rest to see how it goes. Try to keep the area as clean as you can so it does not get infection there.

Looks like things have not quite absorbed or it has a bit of a hernia. As you have said it has dried some and if the chick were mine I would still leave it for now and let it rest to see how it goes. Try to keep the area as clean as you can so it does not get infection there.
do you think I should remove it and put it under a heat lamp? The mother sorta pecks at it and I think she's been eating part of it
1f62c.png
thank you so much for all your help idk what I would have done without it
1f600.png

I didn't realise it was from under a hen, I thought it was incubator chick. Me personally I would leave it under the hen and let nature take its course. Is she still sitting in the nest?
How long had it been trying to hatch before you helped it? I'm an incubator hatcher and have only had my first broody this year and I didn't need to anything. I just let nature it course.

I didn't realise it was from under a hen, I thought it was incubator chick. Me personally I would leave it under the hen and let nature take its course. Is she still sitting in the nest?
How long had it been trying to hatch before you helped it? I'm an incubator hatcher and have only had my first broody this year and I didn't need to anything. I just let nature it course.
yes she's still there, there are 2 hens siting on the eggs actually. This is my second broody ever. I'll leave it up to the hens! Thank u

Last edited:
Good luck and keep us posted on how the chick gets on.
The chick should fluff up better under the hen/s!! It drying is a good sign and hopefully once the chick has its fluff the hen/s should not see it as much.

Good luck and keep us posted on how the chick gets on.
The chick should fluff up better under the hen/s!! It drying is a good sign and hopefully once the chick has its fluff the hen/s should not see it as much.
Thank you the chick fluffed up a bit, and the blood stuff dried up. It's still really weak though I hope it makes it.

Last edited:
I had just assisted with two of my eggs because they had unzipped to high up in the shell and couldn't squeeze out. It only took us about 5 mins and now they are large healthy birds :)

Back
Top Bottom