Isbar thread

Pics
I have to introduce you guys to my new blue Isbar babies :) My pair has finally started breeding and now they are parents :)

Yay, congrats! My trio just started breeding, too- one week to first chicks although those will probably be BCM/Isbar mixes since I didn't separate them until just after first eggs.. So exciting!

My cute little splash Isbar, Nemo, is now almost 6 weeks old and I think I can safely said it is a SHE! YEA!!!! She is always with her best friend, Gypsy, my frizzle mix.

Warning: I am not breeding Isbars for standard of perfection. I am looking for help from the experts on this forum.

I am a high school teacher and I use rare chicken breeds and egg colors to teach sustainability & genetics. We research different egg colors and breeding for various egg colors. We are going to be hatching some olive eggers, partridge penedesenca, FBC marans, tufted rumpless araucanas and various other breeds soon in the classroom.

Has anyone tried a cross between two blue egg laying breeds (Ameraucana with Cream Legbar) or even a cross between a blue egg layer with a green egg layer (Isbar). I am just curious if this would produce a brighter blue egg layer or even a brighter turquoise colored egg. Anyone tried this or have opinions/predictions or a hypotheses? I know about the basics of egg color genetics and makeup. Responding with a comment like "a green egg is really a blue egg with brown coating....." is not going to help. We figured that out at the very beginning of our research.

My students goal is to raise chickens that will produce 12 different egg colors. A rainbow dozen. We have a lot of the obvious breeds. The students are bringing up great questions about cross breeding for egg color. The OE was an experiment...there has to be more out there.

I will be posting this in several forums to gain info. Thanks so much!!

Back
Top Bottom