Isbar thread

I have a 4-month-old black pullet, and within the last couple days, I noticed her teeny-tiny black comb and wattles are just now beginning to grow and turn pink.

If the brother is already "pinking up," you either have a slow-developing cockerel on your hands or a pullet with an exceptionally masculine-looking comb. Either is possible. Maybe someone else can chime in?

Last edited:

Photos don't always work from my phone but this is a photo of brother whose comb has been red for a while now.

7 weeks old ... hen or roo? It's the black comb that's throwing me off.

Looks like a cockerel to me. What color is his skin? He could just be over-melanized and will redden up as he matures. Hard to say for sure from the pictures, but he looks like either a Svarthöna or Svarthöna mix. His skin should be light, not dark.

Looks like a cockerel to me. What color is his skin? He could just be over-melanized and will redden up as he matures. Hard to say for sure from the pictures, but he looks like either a [COLOR=1D2129]Svarthöna or Svarthöna mix. His skin should be light, not dark.[/COLOR]

I just checked and his skin is darker than the other siblings. The breeder I got them from does breed Svarthona.

Can I also get some opinions about this guy?
He's 14 weeks old; I think he's a rooster
It appears he's leaking red from his feathers.....
Is this something seen with 2nd import birds??

Here is a current pic of this handsome guy Blue!
He has the dark Isbar eyes which I love! Not excited about the red leakage though but so far he's a keeper

I was thinking the 'mottled' was not the correct color. So would you call that bird a Silverudd Blue? Interestingly I believe it is also 'rumpless' as shown in the following pictures. (and I think only Araucanas are rumpless)??

I was considering starting a breeding program but would definitely not use any of the black birds.
Here are recent pics of these 2 hens; black one is rumpless so is not a Silverudd's Blue or is from 2nd import stock
Hoping for eggs soon!!
fl.gif

Back
Top Bottom