January 2017 Hatch-a-long

So, it turns out my thermometer probe was touching one of the eggs..... So my incubator was actually too cold! I've got it fixed now, but man I hate it when this happens! Right before lock down every hatch the incubator freaks out a little. Thankfully I should still get a good hatch. I will candle when I stop turning tonight!

I've had a chick which pipped at the pointy end hatch by its self in only a couple of hours, but most of the time you have to help them. How long ago did it pip?

It pipped late last night. It's 11:16 am here, so just over 12 hours ago. I've been reading about assisted hatches in the learning center and watching videos just in case. This is what it looks like now. It's beak is moving but not making sounds. Should I step in?

It pipped late last night. It's 11:16 am here, so just over 12 hours ago. I've been reading about assisted hatches in the learning center and watching videos just in case. This is what it looks like now. It's beak is moving but not making sounds. Should I step in?

Such a hard call... did it clear away the shell opening by itself? If I were in your place, and it looked like the chick was not in distress, I would probably wait a few more hours. One of the worst things is finding it hadn't absorbed its yolk fully. Give yourself a set time. As long as it's breathing and the beak is moving, those are good signs.
All that said, it's your baby and you probably have a better sense of its condition to make the right decision.
Prayers!!
1f425.png

Such a hard call... did it clear away the shell opening by itself? If I were in your place, and it looked like the chick was not in distress, I would probably wait a few more hours. One of the worst things is finding it hadn't absorbed its yolk fully. Give yourself a set time. As long as it's breathing and the beak is moving, those are good signs.
All that said, it's your baby and you probably have a better sense of its condition to make the right decision.
Prayers!!
1f425.png

I ended up having to assist and she (I'm hoping) is doing great!! That was very stressful even though I've been watching videos and studying hatching long before I even got an incubator. Once they're dried I can put them in with the others!

I ended up having to assist and she (I'm hoping) is doing great!! That was very stressful even though I've been watching videos and studying hatching long before I even got an incubator. Once they're dried I can put them in with the others!

Whew!! Congratulations!! When did you do it?

Whew!! Congratulations!! When did you do it?

Almost 2 hours after my post. I could see it was struggling to breath. I did a little at a time and wrapped in a wet paper towel in between. I ended up having to do a complete hatch for it but you can't tell now. The inner membrane was pretty tight to start with so I think it was on its way to shrink wrapping. I think it may have pipped sooner than what I saw.

Last edited:
Almost 2 hours after my post. I could see it was struggling to breath. I did a little at a time and wrapped in a wet paper towel in between. I ended up having to do a complete hatch for it but you can't tell now. The inner membrane was pretty tight to start with so I think it was on its way to shrink wrapping. I think it may have pipped sooner than what I saw.

So glad it worked out! Great read of the situation!

Well a little update on the birds I hatched in January.

Hatched 60 bcm, welsummer, and legbar eggs. Ended up with 45 roosters.

Out of the 50 bobwhites I hatched. I have 35 left and 30 appear to be cocks.

So my january hatch ended up being mostly males.

Looks like the freezer will fill up in may or june.

Well a little update on the birds I hatched in January.

Hatched 60 bcm, welsummer, and legbar eggs. Ended up with 45 roosters.

Out of the 50 bobwhites I hatched. I have 35 left and 30 appear to be cocks.

So my january hatch ended up being mostly males.

Looks like the freezer will fill up in may or june.
Ouch, that's a LOT of processing. I've been lucky and seem to have mostly pullets. I know I have several roos that I'll have to deal with, but I"m not a fan of processing. I found a place that will do it for $3 a bird.

That is a lot of meat! Seems like we get 80+% cockerels from ours. This winter has been so brutal, we have lost most of the chicks hatched the past couple months, and I am not sure yet what the 4 we have left from January are yet, but it would not surprise me if all 4 are cockerels. I don't mind though, because it fills the freezer, which is good.

Back
Top Bottom