January 2017 Hatch-a-long

A curious question for ya'll: if you sold hatching eggs to someone and only half of them were fertile, what would be your response?

Give the buyer more eggs to make up the difference. If they were sold as "fertile eggs" or "hatching eggs" they should be fertile. I think at least 80% fertility should be expected.

Last edited:
A curious question for ya'll: if you sold hatching eggs to someone and only half of them were fertile, what would be your response?

Were they shipped or local?
50% is a good rate for shipped eggs. They might have been fertile but damaged in transit so they never developed.
Everyone I've ever bought eggs from has a disclaimer.

Were they shipped or local?
50% is a good rate for shipped eggs. They might have been fertile but damaged in transit so they never developed.
Everyone I've ever bought eggs from has a disclaimer.

I picked them up. They had great air sacks at the onset. 7 of 14 were yolkers. I gave the seller a heads up that fertility wasn't good. She thanked me.

Last edited:
Hi guys.
frow.gif

Wanna see if y'all are able to give advice...

I have a bator running for several days now... My house is 59 degrees but the highest I can get the hova bator to go is between 96-98 verified by two thermometers. We are climatized so turning the heater up would make us bake out.

As I'm typing this, I realize adding a fan may work....

Any suggestions, I presume I can't hatch much at that temp.

TIA

Hi guys. :frow

I have a bator running for several days now... My house is 59 degrees but the highest I can get the hova bator to go is between 96-98 verified by two thermometers. We are climatized so turning the heater up would make us bake out.

TIA

The only thing I can think of would be to put the incubator in the least drafted room in the house.

Also if you have a blanket wrap the incubator in one to help it retain some heat.

I hatched some button quail yesterday. I wanted some for my aviary and couldn't find any nearby. Had to buy an incubator, get some eggs from eBay and hatch 'em myself. :) They're the tiniest little self-feeding fluff balls. So freaking small.

Hi guys.
frow.gif

TIA
Like Feedman77 said, blankets work. I've heard that some people put the incubator inside a box that is just a little bigger than the incubator. Doesn't need a lid. Some folks just pile clothing around it. Make sure you do not cover all the ventilation holes though! They need air flow! Good luck!!!!

Back
Top Bottom