January 2017 Hatch-a-long

Just set 24 eggs of Dark Cornish x White Plymouth Rock and Dark Cornish x Madisons on my old homemade bator.

Just got home looked in on my quail eggs.

It looks like I have about 15 external pips.

So with any luck I might have a few babies tomorrow.

I let them go until tonight and then I finished hatching them. They were still moving and chirping but no progress had been made. I think it just got spun around as the pip was in the right area. It seems to be quite uncordinated right now with a twisted foot and no balance but I am hoping that is just from its position in the egg?

Last edited:
Never got to post pictures of my 6 call babies that hatched jan.9 bc I couldn't get my pictures to post for some reason but here they are and I have 16 more in the bator on day 10

All 6

Blondie an tink

Quackers

tink an woody

Oh my goodness, it is getting down to the wire here with 3 clutches hatching just days apart, and no chick starter. I have three different feeders for the chickens. One for the adults, and two for the chicks (one for tiny chicks and one for larger chicks). We have broody hens all the time, and chicks of all ages, so I always keep chick starter in both chick feeders. The past several weeks the feed store has had no chick starter. I know the mommas will get the pellets and break them apart for the babies, but I always feel so much better knowing they have access to feed that the adults cannot get to easily.

Its crazy how much my one emu egg is jumping around! I turned them this morning and when I went back to the incubator for a temperature check he was back over on his original side...lol. I'm thinking the smaller is a dud
1f622.png
. I've tried the wiggle test a few times now and nothing where the larger one is jumping like crazy. I just can't figure out why the cooling test is still positive.I'm hoping he's just lazy.. Still holding out hope for both of them but I'll be happy just to get one to hatch.

Oh my goodness, it is getting down to the wire here with 3 clutches hatching just days apart, and no chick starter. I have three different feeders for the chickens. One for the adults, and two for the chicks (one for tiny chicks and one for larger chicks). We have broody hens all the time, and chicks of all ages, so I always keep chick starter in both chick feeders. The past several weeks the feed store has had no chick starter. I know the mommas will get the pellets and break them apart for the babies, but I always feel so much better knowing they have access to feed that the adults cannot get to easily.
I feed flock raiser crumbles to everybody and OS on the side, so I don't have to worry about who eats what. I avoid layer at all cost because it is too low in protein and high in calcium for me to be comfortable feeding to my mixed age and gender flock. I do have multiple feeders though, just to combat pecking order issues.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom