January 2017 Hatch-a-long

Like Feedman77 said, blankets work. I've heard that some people put the incubator inside a box that is just a little bigger than the incubator. Doesn't need a lid. Some folks just pile clothing around it. Make sure you do not cover all the ventilation holes though! They need air flow! Good luck!!!!

The only thing I can think of would be to put the incubator in the least drafted room in the house.

Also if you have a blanket wrap the incubator in one to help it retain some heat.
Thanks for the tip, the blanket thing is totally working! I'm up to 100 degrees now.
yesss.gif

I was starting to get worried that my breeding plans were headed down the drain. Of course I hope to use broodies, but that's not always convenient. Well, it would be if they would cooperate with my schedule!
big_smile.png

Someone told me about the box thing, and that sounds like it would work pretty well also. I just hadn't been able to find a box the right size. And my first thought with y'all's suggestion was I better not cover the vent holes... but it's great that you pointed that out because I can see how easy it would be especially for a hatching newb to miss that important factor!
highfive.gif

I'm the one that seems to not remember much what is ideal humidity for first 18 days of incubating then what what is ideal temperature for forced air incubator in both Celsius and farinhite

I feed flock raiser crumbles to everybody and OS on the side, so I don't have to worry about who eats what. I avoid layer at all cost because it is too low in protein and high in calcium for me to be comfortable feeding to my mixed age and gender flock. I do have multiple feeders though, just to combat pecking order issues.
smile.png

That is the same thing I do, except I use meat bird pellets for less waste. I keep crumble on hand for fermenting and that's what chicks get for the first three weeks, which is sometimes a pain in the butt since I like to let broodies raise them and integrate with the flock right away, but the guineas make pellets necessary because they like to just pick up food and drop it on the ground.

I let them go until tonight and then I finished hatching them. They were still moving and chirping but no progress had been made. I think it just got spun around as the pip was in the right area. It seems to be quite uncordinated right now with a twisted foot and no balance but I am hoping that is just from its position in the egg?

It really can vary. I've had them come out up and running and others take a couple days (and worry me sick in the meantime).

I'm the one that seems to not remember much what is ideal humidity for first 18 days of incubating then what what is ideal temperature for forced air incubator in both Celsius and farinhite
If you hatch enough and learn to "read" air cells you won't really have to worry about remembering "ideal humidity" since its going to vary anyway, depending on if you have windows open (and the outside humidity) or are running the heat or are running the AC or swamp cooler, and also what type of eggs you are incubating because some have less porous shells (Marans) or are thicker (guineas) or have a smaller volume of moisture to lose over the 3 weeks (bantams).

I feed flock raiser crumbles to everybody and OS on the side, so I don't have to worry about who eats what. I avoid layer at all cost because it is too low in protein and high in calcium for me to be comfortable feeding to my mixed age and gender flock. I do have multiple feeders though, just to combat pecking order issues. :)

I have the same kind of setup. The feed made by my local feed store is the same as flock raiser, which is why I use it, but they do not make it in crumbles. I may have to put a bunch through a blender for the chick feeders. I have always preferred to have the chick starter available because of the smaller pieces (without the momma having to break up the pellets) and it provides a place for the chicks to eat just in case an adult wants to be a bully. Buffy is our top hen, so her babies will not be pushed around, but the rest might. I have no idea what position this Black Australorp holds in the flock.

Woohoo, go Buffy! 10/10 Hatched! One did not make it (might have been our fault for bothering her a couple days ago), so she has 9 to raise. So, starting with 12 eggs, 2 got smashed, 10 hatched. So exciting! This gives me great hope for the Black Australorp's clutch!

Last edited:
So far the count is 11 quail, and one Polish chick that is 2 days early. There were 2 quail dead in the incubator and trampled so I couldn't tell why they didn't make it.
But aren't they adorable!!

Today is day 42 of the emu eggs incubation. I tried the wiggle test and the larger one wiggled! The smaller one did not wiggle but the cooling test is still positive. Yay!
Wow Emu. I only know one other person that does anything Emu near me, in Texas. We love our two babies. One girl and one boy. They are coming up on 1 year old in March so no eggs yet. I think we need to wait til after they are 2 years old correct? Their eggs are so beautiful

Back
Top Bottom