January 2017 Hatch-a-long

16 out of 20 eggs hatched. Now enjoying my adorable little fluff butts. They have already mastered the water nipple at less then 24 hours old for most. Last one born early this morning.

16 out of 20 eggs hatched. Now enjoying my adorable little fluff butts. They have already mastered the water nipple at less then 24 hours old for most. Last one born early this morning.

Cute chicks! I like your water nipple setup, did you crochet the holder for the water bottle? I'm going to try that this weekend with mine!

Ok that's it, I've entered crazy hatching lady territory! Well, actually I think I surpassed that a couple weeks ago, but this is a new level...

This science project claims playing chicken clucking sounds increases hatch rate... As day 21 comes to an end, ugh with no pips or peeps, I'm gonna try right now... Might be too late for this batch, but it might increase my chances with the 2nd batch due on the 3rd... Hmm, but with this batch, if I put them in 1-5 at 9pm does that mean day 21 isn't until tomorrow? Aghhh!!! Hatch already! lol

http://cssf.usc.edu/History/2011/Projects/J2205.pdf

Last edited:
Ok that's it, I've entered crazy hatching lady territory! Well, actually I think I surpassed that a couple weeks ago, but this is a new level...

This article claims playing chicken clucking sounds increases hatch rate... As day 21 comes to an end, ugh with no pips or peeps, I'm gonna try right now... Might be too late for this batch, but it might increase my chances with the 2nd batch due on the 3rd... Hmm, but with this batch, if I put them in 1-5 at 9pm does that mean day 21 isn't until tomorrow? Aghhh!!! Hatch already! lol

Haha! I had my daughter bring one of our more vocal 4 week olds over to "talk" to a couple of really slow zippers. I really do think it works!

Good morning!

Sadly Rick was a dud. I'm going to open him up and see what happened. Just too busy watching Daryl to do anything else.

Yay for Daryl!!! Sorry about Rick, though.

This article claims playing chicken clucking sounds increases hatch rate... As day 21 comes to an end, ugh with no pips or peeps, I'm gonna try right now... Might be too late for this batch, but it might increase my chances with the 2nd batch due on the 3rd... Hmm, but with this batch, if I put them in 1-5 at 9pm does that mean day 21 isn't until tomorrow? Aghhh!!! Hatch already! lol

I actually did play chicken and chick sounds for my rescue eggs... I take a lot of videos of all my animals, and so when the one chick started hatching, I would just stand there playing a video of a chick chirping, and he was responding to it. He would chirp back and become much more active.

I decided I need to market mama hen/broody clucking sounds! The only long video of chicken sounds is the screeching of a laying hen!
Yay for Daryl!!! Sorry about Rick, though.
I actually did play chicken and chick sounds for my rescue eggs... I take a lot of videos of all my animals, and so when the one chick started hatching, I would just stand there playing a video of a chick chirping, and he was responding to it. He would chirp back and become much more active.

@orrpeople I know the beils are supposed to be easy to identify... but I think it depends on breeder quality and if they select to maintain the trait or not. How has your personal experience been so far with identification? Where did you get your stock?

@orrpeople
 I know the beils are supposed to be easy to identify... but I think it depends on breeder quality and if they select to maintain the trait or not. How has your personal experience been so far with identification? Where did you get your stock?

They are very easy. Girls are cute, dark little chipmunks.
1f603.png

Back
Top Bottom