July 2023 Hatch-A-Long

Thats pretty normal for eggs to hatch on day 20. Most of mine hatch on day 20 actually, so don't be alarmed! Sounds like your going to have some chicks really soon!
Do I need to worry about the other chickens? I tried moving the broody hen to a new coop a few days ago but she refused to sit on the eggs so I moved them back to the main coop. When I went out again today, she was again off the nest (starting to question her mothering skills! 🤣) and one of the almost hatched eggs was out of the nesting box and on the main coop floor (same level). I got as much debris as I could off of it and picked it up carefully, baby started peeping like mad. Little black chick with a white dot on its head... I put him back in the nesting box and she went back in, I closed the door and left food and water in there because I am afraid the other chickens are messing with the chicks. Another egg is hatching but there is a lot of blood and she seems to have shoved it out from under her to the side of the nesting box. Should I do anything? Thankfully, it's a pretty hot and humid day.

Do I need to worry about the other chickens? I tried moving the broody hen to a new coop a few days ago but she refused to sit in the eggs so I moved them back to the main coop. When I went out again today, she was again off the nest (starting to question her mothering skills! 🤣) and one of the almost hatched eggs was out of the nesting box and on the main coop floor (same level). I got as much debris as I could off of it and picked it up carefully, baby started peeping like mad. Little black chick with a white dot on its head... I put him back in the nesting box and she went back in, I closed the door and left food and water in there because I am afraid the other chickens are messing with the chicks. Another egg is hatching but there is a lot of blood and she seems to have shoved it out from under her to the side of the nesting box. Should I do anything? Thankfully, it's a pretty hot and humid day.
For now you should probably try to keep the other chickens away. It does sound like the other hens were bothering her.

As for the chick that's bleeding...I had something similar to that happen. If it's bleeding quite a bit I suggest using a damp paper towel and gently clean it up a little. Otherwise, you should probably just leave the hen and chicks alone.

As for the chick that's bleeding...I had something similar to that happen. If it's bleeding quite a bit I suggest using a damp paper towel and gently clean it up a little. Otherwise, you should probably just leave the hen and chicks alone.
Thank you for the advice! I definitely want to just let nature take its course, but I also want to try to keep an eye and help if it's absolutely needed and certainly to prevent an unnecessary tragedies caused by the other brats! Hahaha

One last question... The high today is 80F, think it's safe to just leave her locked in the coop with food and water until this evening (I'll let the others in right at bedtime)

Thank you for the advice! I definitely want to just let nature take its course, but I also want to try to keep an eye and help if it's absolutely needed and certainly to prevent an unnecessary tragedies caused by the other brats! Hahaha

One last question... The high today is 80F, think it's safe to just leave her locked in the coop with food and water until this evening (I'll let the others in right at bedtime)
How much ventilation is there in the coop? That makes a big difference.

Back
Top Bottom