Just curious? Who names all their chickens and who doesn't?

How can you not name them? Especially if you have small children helping to raise them... My daughters named each chicken beautifully, with each hen (RI Reds) well-suited in her name. We have Spotty (yes, she has green spots in her red feathers), Cocoa, Big Girl (the smallest), Charlotte and Scarlet are "twins" and then the two babies (4 weeks old) named Ebony and Sapphire (Plymouth Rock). Happiness abounds!!
big_smile.png

Mine are all named except that I've learned to wait a few months with the Easter Eggers because I have so much trouble telling them apart when they're young. I'm trying NOT to name the surplus roos but sometimes I just can't help myself ... for example, "Elizabeth Bennet's" chick had to be named "Mr. Darcy". His Daddy was Col. Brandon. Some of my original flock - Peggoty, Betsy Trotwood Copperfield, Madeline. My newest additions - Leonardo da Vinci and Rembrandt - they are to add color to the eggs. Jennifer Lopez is a perfect little Black Ameraucana. And Pippa is a very flashy Splash Ameraucana. "Tipsy" has leg problems. Naima is a GREAT singer. I also have all my divas - the blond, Meg Ryan, the red head, Julia Roberts, and there is also Isabella, Paris, Claire Danes, and Halle Berry. My original roo started out life as Nigella but was converted to Nigel when he crowed! I could go on and on.

Clearly, I have too much time on my hands ....

Mine all have names. I just gave them strange/creative names like Magnus, Hoover, Peony, etc. They're are my pets, so I didn't hesitate to give them all names (I only have six at the moment anyway).

I love this. And Quinn in Oregon who gave his lame banty roo a first middle and last name. Goes to show, I'm sure my grampa, who must have raised a thousand chickens over his life time, never named a one. But my grandpa never would have let my little leghorn Siff, bleeding on the coop floor after a violent coon attack survive the trauma. She would have been culled there and then. But Siff (after a 2 am warm bath, a touch of neosporin, and one night in a box of clean shavings) has laid a hundred big white eggs since. It takes all kinds. We don't eat ours and we have three kids (one of whom swore off meat after we got our first chicks) so names are inevitable. We go with literary characters--Greek, Norse,and Egyptian mythology as well as book characters. No harm in throwing a little learning for the kiddos--they can name the Greek Muses and tell you if Hathor is a male or female Egyptian god.
Quote:

We have 12 laying hens: 4 buffs, 4 wyandotts & 4 aracaunas...the buffs are all named "alice", the wyandotts are all named "rosie" and the aracaunas (because we can tell them apart) are Henri, Ruby, Hawkey, and Barbie..our 2 girls came up with most of the names, but I don't think the chickens mind either way!
smile.png

All ours have names about 12 and our 2 ducks and goose have a name too but I am hatching out a bunch of new chicks and will not be naming them!

We name our pet chickens, but we don't name food. If it has a name then it gets passed by at processing time.
big_smile.png
We currently have: Bug, Zero, Fudgy, mama, autumn, Rocky, Skull, Bo, and big bubba pimp.
big_smile.png

We have plenty that we don't name. This way our son knows if it's named we'll keep it, and if not don't get attached!

Back
Top Bottom