JUST FOR FUN NOVEMBER HATCH–A–LONG!!! 2015

Ok here's what my developing eggs look like right now. Day 13. Sorry but the clarity of the pictures isn't that good.

Basically what I wrote means that there is a gland called the pineal that detects day length, or more accurately length of night. That dictates the hormones secreted so they will either cause ovulation and sperm function or not. Spring or increasing light on a daily basis, stimulates procreation.
The same is true for most animals.
I read a lot. I think nutrition is my main area of expertise. Besides doing this, I worked in the commercial poultry feed production end and worked with macaws in the tropics preparing their feed and maintaining their housing. We had about 500 scarlet and great greens.
I also teach classes on chickens at community colleges, poultry conferences, the botanical garden and other green venues.

Oh ok, that makes more sense. :) Thanks. And that's really cool! I thought you might have had to do something like that. :D

HI, wish I could join you but it is too late in the season here and too cold in the winter to introduce newborns. So you wonder why I am here on this thread??? because I hatched my first batch in August and had such a great experience with everyone here. So supportive and I enjoyed seeing everyone's pics. Thought I could take a peak at your thread and dream of more baby chicks.

good luck everyone!

Hehe, thank you. Glad you joined us. :) Sadly we don't have very good winters where I live. (Sigh) So that's why I'm hatching chicks this time of year. :)

Last edited:
Hey everyone, I need your help. I just candeled my eggs this morning, and I saw something wrong with the air sack. I've never seen this before, and I'm wondering if you can tell me what it is. :/

It has a point, and I drew out what it looks like.

I just hatched a batch of 10 chicks. We are now working on a batch of 31 but there are eggs from three different dates. There are 12 from 11/3, 13 from 11/4 and 6 from 11/5. My question is this...can I move the first batch on day 18 to a still air incubator to hatch from a forced air incubator to allow the other eggs to continue turning until it is time to stop turning them? I am considering the purchase of a second incubator to hatch them out in batches, but don't want to spend all the extra money for a circulated air incubator. What would I need to do differently once I put the first batch in lockdown on day 18? I know that the temp and humidity will need to be adjusted in a still air incubator but I want to make sure I have everything just right before I move them. Can anyone help me with this question?

Back
Top Bottom