Killing, Plucking, Eviscerating, & Cutting Up Your Chicken - Graphic!

I. KNOW. And it's my first time ever raising meat birds. Aaaand I'm 19 years old, with 3 jobs and college. Methinks I'm a tad crazy. But then, crazy people are pretty much the best. :p
Good info! Thanks. Yes, I'll be keeping my eyes open for any kind of sink/table combo like that! Sounds awesome.
sometimes if you find them localy, they are on sale cheaper at the start of fall hunting, the drain line disintegrates in the sun though http://www.atwoods.com/camping-furniture/tricam-industies-multi-use-table-with-water-hookup.htm

I've been reading through this interesting thread... Mentioned to my husband the method (think it was in here) of cutting up each side of the back if you just want the breasts, legs, wings, and thighs and he said "oh, yeah, that's how you clean pheasants" (bird hunting). Does this sound correct? I'm new at this, thinking about meat birds and the whole scalding/plucking/cleaning etc has me kind of intimidated. Wanted to at least have a simpler processing option if things head south. I know you'd forego backs, organs, etc.

Thanks so much for the tutorial! I just finished killing, plucking and dressing my second rooster. I botched killing the first one last week because I didn't cut far enough towards the back of his neck and got woozy when I saw how I mangled the poor guy and he wasn't dying. I finally did manage to cut his jugular, but his neck was a mass of blood clots. Your picture on where to cut the neck was perfect. I managed it in two quick slices this time. I got processing time from 3 hours for the first bird to just over an hour from slice to cooling. I've promised myself to do at least a bird a week until all our extra roosters are gone. I have 6 more to practice on.

Last edited:
I've been reading through this interesting thread... Mentioned to my husband the method (think it was in here) of cutting up each side of the back if you just want the breasts, legs, wings, and thighs and he said "oh, yeah, that's how you clean pheasants" (bird hunting). Does this sound correct? I'm new at this, thinking about meat birds and the whole scalding/plucking/cleaning etc has me kind of intimidated. Wanted to at least have a simpler processing option if things head south. I know you'd forego backs, organs, etc.

To answer your question all be it a bit late, Yes... if you don't mind skinless chicken it works great and is fast. You may want to try it even if you scald and pick the bird. Score and break the breast bone and It's called "spatch-cocked" chicken and great for grilling whole birds...

I just want to add my thanks for this thread. OMG I've been studying it for almost a year now. haha! I have five roos and three must go....I've looked at the photos long enough and often enough that I have great confidence going into this now....Truly, thank you so much. I swear you need to print up that post, laminate it and sell it on Amazon. It would be the best thing I'd ever purchase! :)

Back
Top Bottom