Killing, Plucking, Eviscerating, & Cutting Up Your Chicken - Graphic!

D.gif
Thank you for the reply, I was very confused not many sites or books tell you to let it set after slaughtering your fowl. I had just stumbled on something that said let it rest but really didn't say why, even Storey's book didn't mention much about it and me I just like to know every thing just incase it could make you sick or waste time

I just joined BYC! Happy to be here.

Had to share, I have recently connected with my new neighbors. They are Russian and have been very warm to me. Recently, the husband asked if I had any experience slaughtering chickens. I told him what I knew and that was it. Today, he called and asked if I would help his mother-in-law with the process. I said sure and took along of couple of my Cutco knives. When I arrived there were 3 women and a young boy, about 9 or 10. He spoke fluent English and translated for us. Turns out none of the women cared to actually kill the chickens slated for the pot. I offered to show them how, but suggested they do it. NO. So, I proceeded with 2 chickens and let them bleed out. I helped pluck both birds, then just stepped back and watched the older lady in the group expertly eviscerate the hens. I learned a few new things and a couple of tricks that will come in handy. The whole process took about an hour.

I was grateful for the experience and feel I've bonded more with this family.

I just joined BYC! Happy to be here.

Had to share, I have recently connected with my new neighbors. They are Russian and have been very warm to me. Recently, the husband asked if I had any experience slaughtering chickens. I told him what I knew and that was it. Today, he called and asked if I would help his mother-in-law with the process. I said sure and took along of couple of my Cutco knives. When I arrived there were 3 women and a young boy, about 9 or 10. He spoke fluent English and translated for us. Turns out none of the women cared to actually kill the chickens slated for the pot. I offered to show them how, but suggested they do it. NO. So, I proceeded with 2 chickens and let them bleed out. I helped pluck both birds, then just stepped back and watched the older lady in the group expertly eviscerate the hens. I learned a few new things and a couple of tricks that will come in handy. The whole process took about an hour.

I was grateful for the experience and feel I've bonded more with this family.

I have been trying to get here for an hour to respond to you! Ha ha!
I am glad to meet you!
welcome-byc.gif
It is so awesome that you got that experience! It is better yet that they did help. And you all have a bond now!
I hope to see you around!

Hey! I'll be processing my first batch of broilers next Saturday and Sunday, and I'm getting all my equipment around. I have a scalder, plucker, cooler, and several large tubs for cold/ice water. But I don't have killing cones or a stainless steel table for cutting the birds up. I've seen videos on Youtube of people making killing cones out of 5-gal. buckets - does anyone have experience with this? Do you think it'll work? Also, I have plastic tables with foldable legs... just like the cheap ones from Walmart. The only reason I can think of that people use stainless steel tables instead of plastic is that they're more sanitary, stable, and won't rust (because the plastic ones have metal legs that might rust?). However. I most likely won't be able to get my hands on a stainless steel table by next week, so will a plastic one work? I might just have to have one designated chicken processing table and not use it for anything else. :p

Hey! I'll be processing my first batch of broilers next Saturday and Sunday, and I'm getting all my equipment around. I have a scalder, plucker, cooler, and several large tubs for cold/ice water. But I don't have killing cones or a stainless steel table for cutting the birds up. I've seen videos on Youtube of people making killing cones out of 5-gal. buckets - does anyone have experience with this? Do you think it'll work? Also, I have plastic tables with foldable legs... just like the cheap ones from Walmart. The only reason I can think of that people use stainless steel tables instead of plastic is that they're more sanitary, stable, and won't rust (because the plastic ones have metal legs that might rust?). However. I most likely won't be able to get my hands on a stainless steel table by next week, so will a plastic one work? I might just have to have one designated chicken processing table and not use it for anything else. :p

You will want a cutting board for cutting up the chickens. A piece of decent plywood works. Just to keep the knife from cutting up the table. That table is more than okay.
I have not used a bucket for a killing cone, but I have heard of using a feed bag with a corner cut out. The only "right" things are that the bird doesn't suffer, and that you don't contaminate your meat. Basically, make sure the flies aren't a problem, and you are fine.
Good luck!

You will want a cutting board for cutting up the chickens. A piece of decent plywood works. Just to keep the knife from cutting up the table. That table is more than okay.
I have not used a bucket for a killing cone, but I have heard of using a feed bag with a corner cut out. The only "right" things are that the bird doesn't suffer, and that you don't contaminate your meat. Basically, make sure the flies aren't a problem, and you are fine.
Good luck!
Right. I guess I thought that when people are gutting the birds some like to have a hose or running water handy to rinse things off. But a cutting board is definitely a must.
Hm, interesting about the feed bag as a killing cone substitute. I'll be doing 74 birds, though, so I might need something more substantial than that. I'll probably experiment with making a killing cone this week, but will definitely keep that in mind in case!
Thank you!!

Last edited:
Right. I guess I thought that when people are gutting the birds some like to have a hose or running water handy to rinse things off. But a cutting board is definitely a must.
Hm, interesting about the feed bag as a killing cone substitute. I'll be doing 74 birds, though, so I might need something more substantial than that. I'll probably experiment with making a killing cone this week, but will definitely keep that in mind in case!
Thank you!!
th.gif
That is a lot of birds!

.. some people use a traffic cone cut off, some people use a 2gal bleach bottle( which i could not find)...seems like a lot of people just tye their legs and hang them where they would not hit anything with their wings.
none of the killing cones I bought worked for big CX(12lb) .. I used a small cat litter jug

ETA I use a plastic fish/game table that has a sink..works great
info on making a metal or vinyl sheet cone https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/389035/how-to-build-a-killing-cone/10

Last edited:
th.gif
That is a lot of birds!

I. KNOW. And it's my first time ever raising meat birds. Aaaand I'm 19 years old, with 3 jobs and college. Methinks I'm a tad crazy. But then, crazy people are pretty much the best. :p
.. some people use a traffic cone cut off, some people use a 2gal bleach bottle( which i could not find)...seems like a lot of people just tye their legs and hang them where they would not hit anything with their wings.
none of the killing cones I bought worked for big CX(12lb) .. I used a small cat litter jug

ETA I use a plastic fish/game table that has a sink..works great
info on making a metal or vinyl sheet cone https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/389035/how-to-build-a-killing-cone/10
Good info! Thanks. Yes, I'll be keeping my eyes open for any kind of sink/table combo like that! Sounds awesome.

Back
Top Bottom