Kombucha scoby for the girls?

I make mine from green tea. I find it makes a fizzier kombucha.

Galanie, you know that letting your kombucha go for a long time makes vinegar? You could use it for cleaning. I'm not saying don't drink it that way. lol Just a neat fact I learned in a homesteading book.

I make mine from green tea. I find it makes a fizzier kombucha.

Galanie, you know that letting your kombucha go for a long time makes vinegar? You could use it for cleaning. I'm not saying don't drink it that way. lol Just a neat fact I learned in a homesteading book. 

In my opinion, kombucha tastes a lot like vinegar anyway lol. Since I don't like sugary drinks, I've given my last scoby away but the chickens really did like it when I was giving them extras.

There is a stage in which I do like kombucha, just before it turns completely to vinegar. But even then, only in small amounts. Like a bit of a cordial, that's about all I want of it. Since I make my own ACV by the gallon I don't really need it for cleaning :lol:

This is my Kombacha scoby it's huge can I give tads to my chickens ?
Just remember that it needs to be blended up first, or cut very fine. They won't be able to tear it with their beaks, they'll need it to be bite-sized. And I wouldn't recommend too much at a time, maybe just a few bites. I've not seen a chicken get sick on them, but I've seen people get sick on too much kombucha and other fermented foods having them for the first time.

Wow! This is one of those great old threads that just keeps on giving. I checked here to see if I to could feed my SCOBY to my girls. And obviously I can and will. One observation though, a few frames back was a picture of that glorious huge Scoby in that 2 1/2 gallon fermenter. I batch ferment as well, and one word of caution, your Scoby should never get that big. I peel mine back to about an inch thick. If it gets that large it is not allowing oxygen to get down through into the fermented product. It will not make good Kambucha if it cannot get oxygen. My two cents your mileage may vary.

I would recommend keeping your younger scoby and tossing the old one though, depending on how old it is. Obviously if it if fairly new then keep it as it will make better Kombucha.

Of course. ;) I don't know how old your scoby is but what I do is wait for a couple of new layers the form and then peel to oldest off and compost it. (now I will feed it to my chickens, but I didn't have them the last time I had a scoby to toss) You should make sure you have enough new scoby to make a strong kombucha, though. If you put a poor baby scoby in there all alone you will have a weaker kombucha.

What tea do you make your kombucha out of?

The "mother" from making ACV is tasty to them, too. But I have to cut it up for them. They're amazingly tough lol. My favorite kombucha is that made from English Breakfast tea, and I let it brew for a long, long time. I don't like sweet drinks.

Back
Top Bottom