Kombucha scoby for the girls?

How interesting! I just got into Kombucha brewing recently. A friend gave me a jar of kombucha with several old scobys. I started a new batch out of the newest one and saved the middle ones in another jar. I was about to just throw the old ones out, but thought my chickens like them. They loved it. However, I did not cut it up into pieces first and was amazed how much trouble they were having tearing pieces off. Not sure what happened to it. They were taking turns playing "keep away" with it last I saw! Next time, I will cut it up.

You could try using a bit of food grade h202. I buy it in gallons (35%) and dilute it down but it's great for keeping water from growing all kinds of bad stuff. I also use it to clean produce, in laundry and in dishwasher. But it needs to carefully be diluted because it burns (wear gloves.) Just my 2 cents. I've tried adding Kombucha to my pets water and they weren't very keen on it. Now if I want to add some I add it to the feed instead. Colloidal silver is an antibacterial as well. It can be added to the water.

This is my Kombacha scoby it's huge can I give tads to my chickens ?

I feed my scoby's to my chickens all the time. I make several small batches of kombucha at a time, so I have several smaller scoby's to give them every couple of months. So I cut them up really fine and leave them in a tubberware in my fridge to throw out a handful every week or so. They love them, and so do the ducks. It feels like squid, so I could imagine the ducks think it's a fish. They also like oats soaked in kombucha, the chickens go crazy for that.

This is my Kombacha scoby it's huge can I give tads to my chickens ?
Just remember that it needs to be blended up first, or cut very fine. They won't be able to tear it with their beaks, they'll need it to be bite-sized. And I wouldn't recommend too much at a time, maybe just a few bites. I've not seen a chicken get sick on them, but I've seen people get sick on too much kombucha and other fermented foods having them for the first time.

My scoby is so huge lol so I can cut it into tiny bits and give em as a little snack that's great ain't nothing better than a live culture in my books at what age can they start munching on it and how many times a week can it be given ?

Last edited:
I would say you can give it to them as young as when they start eating grit. And I would imagine you could give it to them every day if you wanted to, once they built up their intestinal tolerance/balance. I try to space it out evenly between the times that it will take for the scoby to be replaced. That way it lasts, and maybe does them a bit more good that a bunch for a week then nothing for 2 months.

Back
Top Bottom