Land lords dog killed 9 of my flock :(

I wouldn't either, more drama will not help. It just really angers me that someone can be so irresponsible and then basically say" What are you going to do about it?" The dog would be a goner. That I would do. I rehomed a neighbors cat when they stopped feeding it and it learned to open my quail cage. I told them about it and they didn't think it was a problem. Now its not.

First thing you need to do is to move as soon as you can. No property is so nice that it justifies putting up with what has happened and what your landlord is apparently like. Note that in most states in the United States you really have little if any recourse. You are a tenant on his property so his dog was effectively on his property and had rights to be there. I know it is not fair or what we think falls within tenant rights but it is the way it is. If the dog did not threaten you then there is nothing you can do under "vicious dog" laws. Attacking your chickens and killing them is something that would fall under livestock laws and they are not protected like domestic pets. I know what I would do if it were me but I do not counsel you to do what I would do. You would not only get evicted but you might end up in jail or at least with some fines.

One thing you might do is take a dozen eggs (buy them if you have to) and sit them aside un-refrigerated. When you know you are going to be moving. Let them get really "ripe". Then, when you have all your belongings moved into your new place stop by this jerks house and give him the eggs. Say something like "no hard feelings these are the last eggs you will be getting from me". He may only break one open when he gets a smell of what is inside but that smell will also not go away soon.

Note that in most states in the United States you really have little if any recourse. You are a tenant on his property so his dog was effectively on his property and had rights to be there.
I'm sorry, but this is simply not true. If you're renting a property from someone, they don't have full property rights anymore. You are renting those rights. Landlords are only allowed on property they have rented out in the case of emergencies, to do regular maintenance, or to do inspections and check for damage. They aren't allowed to come and go as they please - they give up that right when they rent the place out, and they certainly aren't allowed to let their dog free range and kill pets and livestock.

The only situation where his dog should be on the property is if we're talking about a common area, and even in that case, if it presents a threat to tenants, or to tenants pets, it shouldn't be there, as again, the landlord has leased out the rights to that area.

Landlords aren't tenant's parents. They can't just do whatever the heck they want.

I'm a landlord... and I'm the one with the small livestock and chickens, and my tenant has a dog. Her dog has his own fenced area.

I have in my lease that if her dog causes a problem, her dog has to go (or she can move).

I'm a reasonable person... if my cats or chickens get into her area and her dog gets them... I'm not going to hold that against the dog. They did venture over there once and I think the dog got some tail feathers! Close! -As she squeezed back through the way she came. That would not be the dog's fault.

In this case, if I like the place and the landlord is otherwise tolerable... and if the landlord would allow it, I'd invest a few hundred hundred bucks in some fencing... and fence the dog out, if that will do it. If you have a really high drive dog over there, he may just never get over it, and will always be a source of stress for everyone. Would have to judge that one yourself.

Last edited:
First thing you need to do is to move as soon as you can. No property is so nice that it justifies putting up with what has happened and what your landlord is apparently like. Note that in most states in the United States you really have little if any recourse. You are a tenant on his property so his dog was effectively on his property and had rights to be there. I know it is not fair or what we think falls within tenant rights but it is the way it is. If the dog did not threaten you then there is nothing you can do under "vicious dog" laws. Attacking your chickens and killing them is something that would fall under livestock laws and they are not protected like domestic pets. I know what I would do if it were me but I do not counsel you to do what I would do. You would not only get evicted but you might end up in jail or at least with some fines.

One thing you might do is take a dozen eggs (buy them if you have to) and sit them aside un-refrigerated. When you know you are going to be moving. Let them get really "ripe". Then, when you have all your belongings moved into your new place stop by this jerks house and give him the eggs. Say something like "no hard feelings these are the last eggs you will be getting from me". He may only break one open when he gets a smell of what is inside but that smell will also not go away soon.
If you rent or lease a property the property is yours during that term. Not the landlords Tenants do have rights too. You do have the right to not have your property destroyed. If he had any morals at all he would at least attempt a resolution. They don't arrest you for civil issues, a judge decides who owes what. I would move for sure .

I now only have a roo and hen, will they survive winter or should i get more hens to keep them warm? also, can press charges against my landlord? was his dog that chewed through the fence, he didn't even eat them, he just broke their necks, no missing feet, legs, wings ect.

You used chicken wire didn't you?

Run a couple strands of hot wire around your coop/run about dog nose level. It's effective and it doesn't cost an arm and a leg. The dog is very unlikely to touch it more then once. I've never had a dog come back to try again once he's stuck his nose on the hot wire around my pens.

What I think about your landlord cannot be written on this forum!

I love this response!

True - I, however, frequently find ways to touch our fence and get shocked, lol. I often employ the "five fingered fence tester"
gig.gif
I have the same problem. Now I unplug it whenever I need to go near one. (Sometimes I even remember to plug it back in!
big_smile.png
)

Depends on state law. Here in Ohio, any dog that attacks, threatens or even harasses livestock (and chickens are by Ohio law livestock) or humans is a target. Even in city limits. Dog owner can not come after you for cost of dog and is automatically responsible for damages.

Doesn't help in the OPs situation but thought I'd clarify a bit.

If the dog did not threaten you then there is nothing you can do under "vicious dog" laws.

Back
Top Bottom