Land lords dog killed 9 of my flock :(

Sadly the only way i an have any chickens is if i give him eggs, otherwise he told me i couldnt have them blah, he is a very rough landlord, but i love the property, out in the country, however i am going to be looking for a new house, i feel so much safer giving my own grown eggs to my family but wont have the chickens in danger again,
I haven't lived in Michigan, so you have to check your actual tenant/landlord code.

But in most states, the landlord can't tell you that you can have pets and then take that away - the laws about this are usually very clear. The landlord also can't blackmail you into it (which is what "give me eggs or you can't have them" is).

You've already got a hostile landlord at this point - it's worth protecting your rights.

I would discretely and permanently deal with the dog and bill the landlord for loses if he refuses to pay withhold rent when he sues for rent counter sue, If you go this route be ready to move." Deal with it" would not be a response I could work with.

I wouldn't do this.

You can't just withhold rent for whatever you want - there are specific things codified that can be dealt with by withholding rent - generally things that make the place unlivable. If you withhold rent for this, you're giving him legal grounds to evict you - and giving him grounds for going after you for missed rent while he tries to find a new tenant.

Call the police/animal control. File a report. Do it right.

Last edited:
Absolutely do not withhold rent. I worked in a property management company for many years, and was the one who filed for evictions and appeard in court. No judge would justify you withholding rent, and will tell you in no uncertain terms that is not the way to handle grievances. You would end up having a judgement against you for past due rent, and face eviction. In my state, if you are one day late the landlord can begin eviction proceedings, which usually take a couple months from the day filed to the day you are evicted.

Do you have anything in writing stating that you can have the chickens? If so, that covers you for having them now, but all the landlord needs to do when that initial 1 year (or whatever term it is) is up, is give you notice in writing that he is no longer allowing them, usually 30 days notice, and that you need to get rid of them.

Does your lease (if you have one) state that you cannot have pets, and the allowance for chickens was made verbally? If that is the case then, unfortunately, there is not much you can do. If you keep the chickens and he evicts you because of it, and has the lease that shows you aren't to have pets, then you are technically in violation, regardless of any verbal agreements.

However, this does not change he fact that his dog killed your chickens and he should be responsible. Going after him for the replacements will certainly result in you being asked to move, since he seems to be that kind of person. If you are outside of your lease term, unfortunately, the landlord does not have to give a reason. However, if you are still under your initial lease, then he has to have reason to evict you, such as non-payment of rent or some other valid lease violation. Don't give him any reasons. It will be obvious to the judge that he is retaliating. He is bound to that contract just as you are.

However, lease or not, he has to follow the eviction laws of your state. Here in PA we need to give notice of eviction for x number of days (we gave 10), which will state what they are being evicted for and basically say, if it is not taken care of, then we will begin proceedings, on the11th day, if the tenant has not vacated the property or rectified the situation, you can file for a judgement, which usually occurs within a couple weeks to a month. At the hearing the tenant is given another 30 days to take care of the issue (such as pay the judgement) or to vacate the property. If that is not done, then you file with the courts for the actual eviction, which happens approximately 30 days from that date. It's a pretty long process to evict a tenant.

Very sorry for your losses. Any chance you can find a new place to live with a better landlord, and a better setup for raising chickens?

When you do finally leave, make sure you video tape the final walk through with the landlord to have proof that everything was in the condition that it was in. That way you can minimize issues of he said, she said, and get your deposit back in full.

If you are outside of your lease term, unfortunately, the landlord does not have to give a reason. However, if you are still under your initial lease, then he has to have reason to evict you, such as non-payment of rent or some other valid lease violation. Don't give him any reasons. It will be obvious to the judge that he is retaliating. He is bound to that contract just as you are.
I just wanted to point out that while madicakes post here is generally fantastic, federal tenancy laws are very loose, and it's very much a state-to-state thing. You need to find your own state's tenancy laws and see what they actually say.

Typically, when the lease runs out and the landlord hasn't asked you to vacate, as soon as you make your next payment (or stay past x days), it becomes a 'Tenancy at Will'. In some states, at-will tenants have very few rights. In others, they're almost impossible to get rid of - as they no longer are held by the terms of the lease, and only by the terms of state law.

So, check your state laws, figure out what your rights are, and then make the decision on whether it's worth fighting about, etc.

I have to add..take him on Judge Judy if you're in America! I'd love to see that.
I find it awful if the laws there will let him change his mind about you keeping chickens and force you to get rid of them. I really hope that's not the case!I definitely agree with not withholding rent. If it comes to court then i will help you to appear as the perfect Tennant. If I were you I'd find another place then sue him after you'd moved out. DEFINITELY take photos of the property before you leave. From the sound of everything you'll be much happier elsewhere. I hope you're able to find somewhere just as nice with a decent landlord.
Btw..I can relate to what you're going through. It's pretty much what I've feared will happen at my place (though the owner stays on my property).
Best of luck.

Run a couple strands of hot wire around your coop/run about dog nose level. It's effective and it doesn't cost an arm and a leg. The dog is very unlikely to touch it more then once. I've never had a dog come back to try again once he's stuck his nose on the hot wire around my pens.

What I think about your landlord cannot be written on this forum!

Run a couple strands of hot wire around your coop/run about dog nose level. It's effective and it doesn't cost an arm and a leg. The dog is very unlikely to touch it more then once. I've never had a dog come back to try again once he's stuck his nose on the hot wire around my pens.

What I think about your landlord cannot be written on this forum!

True - I, however, frequently find ways to touch our fence and get shocked, lol. I often employ the "five fingered fence tester"
gig.gif

Last edited:
I would NOT do anything to the landlord's dog. The dog lives there, and he's just being a dog.

I think moving is your best bet, unless you can successfully fence the dog out. What will cost more?

Can you still live there after this?

Back
Top Bottom