Langshan Thread!!!

Pics
From my research, the Croad langshans are supposed to be a dark egg layer bred for the extra heavy coating on the egg, so you're right on with that. Like other breeds where egg color matters, I suppose the roosters egg color would be important, which is hard unless you start with hatching eggs. I've also read that it can't be bred for reliably, so I dunno. I've got three wyandotte eggs in my bator right now out of a set of 15 that have the extra coating, making them pinkish. I'm going to separate them if they hatch just to see if any are pullets and whether their eggs are the same.

Thanks for the suggestions. I will start with trimming the beaks of the Red Stars first since I think they're the ones doing it.

skorff, have you had any luck with the beak trimming?

Seeing as how the cuticle is the thing that makes the color, it worries me that people will claim their eggs to be a color then called liars when the oxygen from the air breaks down the cuticle and "ruins" the color. When the eggs get wet, they don't seem to return to the same plum color that they were originally.

First step was to spray the roo's legs with Blu-Kote. That seems to have had an effect although there appear to be some naked spots on his legs. Lately he has been hanging out in a coop with the female Langshan as if he's hiding from those pushy red stars. Once the snow melts I hope they all will get around more and I can see what's happening.

Sue

Any news on your birds?

Well, I have three eggs out of 9 that are still good. I've been doing "force" breedings where I select a male and put him on the ground and then put a female on the ground. Within 5 minutes, the male has covered the female. These three eggs are due to hatch on 2/13, 2/14 and 2/15 respectively.

Now, I've got at least 15 other eggs waiting to go into the incubator. It's KILLING me to not put these eggs in the incubator right now! But, it's only one more week and then I'll have eggs from the blue x black breeding too.

Why must incubators torment us!

Ok i have lurked here for a bit and made a few comments. I was at a local auction this weekend and low and behold there were two boxes marked Langshans. When they took those birds out - my heart dropped. I have NEVER seen a more beautiful bird. They were leg banded - not sure of their quality - but i was stunned at how beautiful in person they were . One hen really caught my eye. I am kicking myself STILL for not getting a couple. The person that bought them didnt even know what they were and i had to tell him what they were and their history ...breaks my heart that they didnt go to someone that may have appreciated more. So now the hunt for my own gorgeous hen ! lol
Not to be a dork but as i drank my coffee this morning i was thinkging of Langshans - how sad is that ?
big_smile.png

My rooster's legs are healing up! I had a helper so was able to catch the red stars and clip their beaks as suggested and also put a new coat of Blu-Kote on Clyde's legs. A lot easier with two people - he's still got a purple butt from my last attempts! The feathers should start reappearing soon and he's no longer hiding in the hen house. Stay tuned
smile.png

That's excellent news skorff! Glad it's working for you! It's funny that you named him Clyde! My starter cock is named Clyde as well!

Inkheart, you know what that means don't you? Time for some Langshans! Don't worry, I often wake up in the middle of the night because I've been dreaming of my birds and "possible" progeny from them! Who knows? The person that bought them might wind up falling in love with them too!

I know - course now where to find quality in Ohio - dont doubt that i wont go back to that auction in hopes whoever brought them will bring more!

Why there are good Langshan breeders up north! (One of the reasons I'm excited to move to Pennsylvania!
big_smile.png
) And you can probably bet that the breeder will have other birds for sale! To me, the males and females are works of art in their own sense. The males are impressive yet docile while the females are good layers, good brooders, SHINY and downright cuddly!

Back
Top Bottom