Lavender Ameraucana Breeders .... UNITE

Pics
I don't usually let people near most of my breeding pens. Pictures are what most are going to see from me. I try to limit traffic near my chickens as much as I can. NO ONE goes in my pens EVER!. Just trying to practice BIO SECURITY as much as I can.

Once you know what a Lavender looks like you can spot them in the brooder boxes easy as pie. When I first got them I was not sure the lavenders from the blues but after some practice it got easier.
X2 as NPIP members are encouraged to practice BIO SECURITY.

Thank you Susan!

Welcome Donna!
big_smile.png

I don't usually let people near most of my breeding pens. Pictures are what most are going to see from me. I try to limit traffic near my chickens as much as I can. NO ONE goes in my pens EVER!. Just trying to practice BIO SECURITY as much as I can.

Once you know what a Lavender looks like you can spot them in the brooder boxes easy as pie. When I first got them I was not sure the lavenders from the blues but after some practice it got easier.
I breed chickens and normally dont have to buy them but every once in a while somhing happens (bad hatch rate, preadetor problems ect.) But when i do have to buy them i want to see what im buying.

I am setting my first lav & split eggs since fall tomorrow. The girls are laying like crazy! My lav cuckoo pullets just started too and the eggs are small and super saturated teal color. Of course it won't really show here, but....
Really excited about the birds I have to work with this season. Yay- spring!!!!

I am setting my first lav & split eggs since fall tomorrow. The girls are laying like crazy! My lav cuckoo pullets just started too and the eggs are small and super saturated teal color. Of course it won't really show here, but....
Really excited about the birds I have to work with this season. Yay- spring!!!!

celebrate.gif

This is my one and only Lavender Ameraucana.
Currently I have a batch of LA eggs incubating away under a broody Cuckoo Marans, which means that by next season I will have at least one or two or too many other LA roos to chose from when breeding with the LA hens.

So, what I am wondering, is what are the good and bad traits of this particular roo?

His shape is nice, but he looks like he's leaking gold. Its normal for them to get some bleaching from the sun, but the darker butter color on his shoulders is where leakage shows up, especially in males.

His shape is nice, but he looks like he's leaking gold. Its normal for them to get some bleaching from the sun, but the darker butter color on his shoulders is where leakage shows up, especially in males.
Excellent (not him, but the information). Thanks.
Do you -- or does anyone -- have links to pictures of what we are wanting these Lavs to look like?
I would love to see them.

Thanks
Susan

I have my first Lavender Am chicks! I have 4 week old chicks; getting 3 more from a different breeder next weekend and hatching eggs from another breeder next week as well. Hoping to be able to start with some good birds
smile.png
. They are so cute!!

Congrats, Caitlin! Welcome to the group.

Quote:
This is the best pic I have of my particular favorite shape and size, with 1/2 way decent feather quality. I used him for only a generation because his comb was a little off. Even the breed club site does not display the lav birds on its color description page.

I have come several generations since him, and have some birds I really love, but when keeping more than one rooster together they can get a bit ratty in the feathers this time of year. I am using this one now,. He has minimal fretting in the shoulders, but had other good qualities and I know he is silver based.

Back
Top Bottom