Lavender Ameraucana Breeders .... UNITE

Hi, I'm subscribed to this thread. I have BBS and Wheaten Ameraucanas, but am thinking of adding the Lavenders. I think they are stunning. I love that the roosters have the same coloring as the hens. If anyone ships chicks or hatching eggs please PM me!

I had a question, I'm not a genius when it comes to genetics, so please put up with me:

How are splits different than splash? Is it because the Lavs, blacks and Wheatens breed true? So if you bred one of those to another dominate color it would be a split? As apposed to a splash who would be a mix of a dominant color and a dilute or recessive color? Will a split come out (say we bred a Black to a Lavender or visa versa) either Black or Lavender? Instead of a mixed color like a splash?

I made my own brain hurt by re-reading what I just wrote. Hopefully it makes enough sense for someone to be able to answer it for me. Thanks.

All of your birds are beautiful!

Hi, I'm subscribed to this thread. I have BBS and Wheaten Ameraucanas, but am thinking of adding the Lavenders. I think they are stunning. I love that the roosters have the same coloring as the hens. If anyone ships chicks or hatching eggs please PM me!

I had a question, I'm not a genius when it comes to genetics, so please put up with me:

How are splits different than splash? Is it because the Lavs, blacks and Wheatens breed true? So if you bred one of those to another dominate color it would be a split? As apposed to a splash who would be a mix of a dominant color and a dilute or recessive color? Will a split come out (say we bred a Black to a Lavender or visa versa) either Black or Lavender? Instead of a mixed color like a splash?

I made my own brain hurt by re-reading what I just wrote. Hopefully it makes enough sense for someone to be able to answer it for me. Thanks.

All of your birds are beautiful!

Blue is a dominant dilution of black . So 1 blue gene you see blue . Lavender is a recessive dilution of black . So 1 lavender gene you see black split for lavender . I hope I made it simple . I don't like my head to hurt either .

Thank you both jerryse and rainbowchick.  That did clear up a few things, but I'm still confused as to what a split is? 

"Split" is a term for when it is carrying one copy of a gene. In the case of the Lavender Aneraucanas, one copy of the lavender gene. For it to show the lavender color, it needs TWO of these genes. So it is called a "split" because it is "black split with lavender". Kind of like splitting something in half... Get it?

Ohhh... I think so. Yes, I think so now.
smile.png
thank you.

So what is the point of the splits? Just to hopefully bring in better body/feather type from the blacks? Then breeding back to Lavender for the color?

Thanks for your help!

Genes come in pairs. When both copies of a gene are the same, that is called homozygous. So if the bird has two copies of the black gene, it is homozygous for black. If it has two copies of the lavender gene, it is homozygous for lavender. But if it has one copy of each, so one copy of black and one copy of lavender, the dominant one shows up (the black) and the recessive one (the lavender) stays hidden. It's there, but it doesn't show. Then it is called being split to lavender. They might say black split to lavender. The also might just call it a split or a lavender split. The big fancy word for having one gene black and one gene lavender is "heterozygous".

(I'm sorry I couldn't avoid using the big words. But if you just remember "homo" means the same, and "hetero" means different, then the big words suddenly become easier.
smile.png
)

ETA: oops, three more posts came in while I was writing this, so I'm sorry if it was unnecessary. ;)

Last edited:
I am looking for 4-6 really good black ameraucanas, straight run chicks or preferably a cockerel & 2 pullets. I'm looking for really good stock. Nys I am willing to ship if you are but close to Ithaca or Binghamton and I will pick up :) sometime this spring? Late April or later- message me with any leads please!

Try the ABC website there is a breeder list there. Sorted by States too.

Back
Top Bottom