Lavender patterned Isabel duckwing barred - lavender brown cuckoo barred - project and genetic dis

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pics
There is a "pearl orange" variety of Leghorn. IMO this is what we call Isabel. However, being as the descriptions reference "pearl-gray", maybe pearl-gray would work? Pearl-Gray Legbars. I kind of like that.

Rooster head straw yellow. The throat of the throat is yellow with whitish gray shafts, in the upper part of the feathers waxy keels. Saddle hang straw yellow with indicated pearl gray shafts. Back, shoulders and wing covers orange yellow. Twist of pearls. Hand swings pearl gray with narrow, light yellow outer edge. Arm swings inside and at the end pearl gray, outer wings yellowish white, forming the yellowish white wing triangle. Chest, flanks and belly pearl-gray with narrow orange-yellow seam. Tail beaded gray.

Hen head straw yellow. The throat of the throat is yellow, with pearl-gray shafts, in the upper part of the feathers with waxy keels. Coat-like plumage cream-colored, which is largely covered with pearl-gray irrigation, so that it appears from the outside almost monochrome pearl-gray, as well as with the spring-beaten yellow feathers and every spring with exactly defined, even, straw-yellow bleeding. Chest bright salmon color. Thigh and belly yellowish pearl gray. Hand swings pearl gray with narrow yellowish white outer rim. Arm swings in pearl gray, outside in the same way as the coat plumage. Control springs predominantly pearl gray, tail springs according to the mantle plumage.

Photos and description courtesy of http://www.sv-zwerg-italiener.de/?q=node/43.
Yes, I think that you are right.... they do look like Isabel to me too. Very much like our own Isabels!

I have some of these due to hatch next weekend. If there is interest, I'll post pics of chicks as well as grow out pics as they mature.
YES, yes, yes,
yesss.gif

There is definitely HIGH interest. Good luck with the hatch -- and can't wait for picts.

From my project's leading edge. I grabbed some pictures of the three oldest juveniles today. They are beginning to look pretty.

Here's my little single-barred female pullet. She's been the star-of-the-show since hatch. As a chick, she had the slightest white marking inside her head V and she is definitely barred.
THIS either is, or is very close to my desired outcome on the female side. You can see she is developing the pale warm salmon color in her breast feathering.

Her tail in the background, you can see the faint barring she has. In the front the male -- ruffling his hackles because the dog was barking like crazy and the traffic was roaring by -- so much noise. He is also developing a nice regular and definite barring pattern. I like the degree of coloration in her tail -- This is more the fan-tail type than the pointed tail ...but then the fan does taper and isn't flat either...sort of a hybrid of both types.

Another photo showing the salmon coming in on her breast feathers. As far as I'm concerned with this feather the darker and more saturated the better.

Tent tail -- and the lavender dilution seems to show less on the underside of the tail feathers -- however maybe it is also the shadowing from being on the underside. Just a moment later she was holding her tail pinched, so let's hope she grows up tent-tailed. ;O)

Clearly the barring shows up best on her neck-hackles here -- and it also looks a bit funny to see the lack of a crest. The generation after this one -- two of the 3 chicks that I retained had crests (1 gene's worth) -- but these 3 from the first hatch this year for the project all lacked crests. Yay!

Here are the two barred juveniles, each with a single barring gene -- she's looking very much like a bird of prey-- he's looking like a nice cockerel - and hopefully will have a low-tail angle for life. Cream Legbars tend toward squirrel tails.

Last edited:
whhopsie - hit submit before I intended, but all the better -- a rainstorm is moving in and I could loose satellite connection any moment now.

He's looking very gangly and leggy right now -- as a cockerel tends to at this age. He isn't all stilty legs like Corrigan was at about this age -- so he probably won't be a huge male when he reaches full growth. And that's o.k. too.

Speaking of legs -- a nice strong yellow -- yellow beak too.

I'm glad to see color in his hackles and not just lavender and white....

He is on the right, she is on the left. It doesn't show -- but the stronger, more definite barring is his upper wing. His secondary wing feathers seem to be unbarred. That is a look I would like -- to have that clean unbroken wing triangle in a lavender/peach combination. - Don't think I got any shots that really show his wing triangle well.

You can see barring on both their tails, and you can see where his duckwing bar is -- it also shows barring.

Close up of his tail.

It talkes knowing where to look for both the wing bar and the shoulder red -- but the faintest tints of red are appearing at the top of his shoulder. This is also something that the Cream Legbar will get at sexual maturity time -- his autosomal reds start to show up.
There's one more shot -- a bit blurry that shows his overall color. Seems like CL males really only get their true colors such as dark breast feathers when they are a year old or so -- All things considered, I think this little guy is already showing more color-contrast and more saturation than the lavender-crele Orpingtons shown at the beginning of this thread. Seems like they have just started to seriously work on their coloration this week. Hatch was Jan 31 of 2017.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom