Lavender patterned Isabel duckwing barred - lavender brown cuckoo barred - project and genetic dis

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pics
You are getting there!
thumbsup.gif
congratulations!
Thank you hhong3138 -- It does feel like a bit of progress.

Rounding it out -- the third chick that I kept from that hatch is a nice saturated lavender Isabel -- and although we though maybe there was a chance for barring -- I think what we were looking at was the way the lavender was laying down the pigment in the feathering.

close up of her neck hackles, faint 'straw' or cream in the outter edges -- but center of feather is pretty solid -- not broken lines like the barred girl.
Her tail also doesn't show barring at present:

Oh, and here is that out-of-focus shot of the male for color purposes. Smart move-- focus on cage bars and not chicken plumage, I know...
hide.gif
, however if you look at his back and wing you can see some areas of reddish color beginning to appear

It is also a contrast between his lighter appearance and the regular Isabel appearance of darker and more saturated lavender. But - although he's lighter, he isn't, at this point totally washed-out looking to my eye.

Thank you hhong3138 -- It does feel like a bit of progress. Rounding it out -- the third chick that I kept from that hatch is a nice saturated lavender Isabel -- and although we though maybe there was a chance for barring -- I think what we were looking at was the way the lavender was laying down the pigment in the feathering. close up of her neck hackles, faint 'straw' or cream in the outter edges -- but center of feather is pretty solid -- not broken lines like the barred girl. Her tail also doesn't show barring at present: Oh, and here is that out-of-focus shot of the male for color purposes. Smart move-- focus on cage bars and not chicken plumage, I know...:oops: , however if you look at his back and wing you can see some areas of reddish color beginning to appear It is also a contrast between his lighter appearance and the regular Isabel appearance of darker and more saturated lavender. But - although he's lighter, he isn't, at this point totally washed-out looking to my eye.
Even she is not barred, she is certainly beautiful! I think the young male is growing nicely too!

From my project's leading edge. I grabbed some pictures of the three oldest juveniles today. They are beginning to look pretty.

Here's my little single-barred female pullet. She's been the star-of-the-show since hatch. As a chick, she had the slightest white marking inside her head V and she is definitely barred.
THIS either is, or is very close to my desired outcome on the female side. You can see she is developing the pale warm salmon color in her breast feathering.

Her tail in the background, you can see the faint barring she has. In the front the male -- ruffling his hackles because the dog was barking like crazy and the traffic was roaring by -- so much noise. He is also developing a nice regular and definite barring patter. I like the degree of colration in her tail -- This is more the fan-tail type than the pointed tail ...but then the fan does taper and isn't flat either...sort of a hybrid of both types.

Another photo showing the salmon coming in on her breast feathers. As far as I'm concerned with this feather the darker and more saturated the better.

Tent tail -- and the lavender dilution seems to show less on the underside of the tail feathers -- however maybe it is also the shadowing from being on the underside. Just a moment later she was holding her tail pinched, so let's hope she grows up tent-tailed. ;O)

Clearly the barring shows up best on her neck-hackles here -- and it also looks a bit funny to see the lack of a crest. The generation after this one -- two of the 3 chicks that I retained had crests (1 gene's worth) -- but these 3 from the first hatch this year for the project all lacked crests. Yay!

Here are the two barred juveniles, each with a single barring gene -- she's looking very much like a bird of prey-- he's looking like a nice cockerel - and hopefully will have a low-tail angle for life. Cream Legbars tend toward squirrel tails.
I think they are pretty!
What are their names? or are you/we going to keep referring to them as the "first" chicks?
wink.png

They are really beautiful ChicKat! I like Isabel legbars, but I am also thinking of Opals. They have so many different hues and shades. Maybe that could be the nickname for Isabel Legbars?

Your birds are looking fantastic ChicKat!
droolin.gif

Thank you -- in some ways I feel that they are your birds too -- since your birds are the mom's and Cree57i's rooster is the grandfather to this set. Your male is the grandfather to the second set in the pipeline.....
I think they are pretty!
What are their names? or are you/we going to keep referring to them as the "first" chicks?
wink.png
names, names, names..... sometimes a name just pops into my head -- and sometimes the head is a blank -- I did think of 'BarBara' for the first Barred Isabel girl.
lau.gif
-- The barred boy---hmm --- ? and the Isabel girl -- maybe' Pearl'....so what do you think for that boy...'BaRt' -- suggestions? They are all from the Robinson family....
They are really beautiful ChicKat! I like Isabel legbars, but I am also thinking of Opals. They have so many different hues and shades. Maybe that could be the nickname for Isabel Legbars?
That's an idea that I like-- and it does kind of fit -- thanks!

BTW - I really appreciate y'alls views and support.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom