Lavender patterned Isabel duckwing barred - lavender brown cuckoo barred - project and genetic dis

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was given a Legbar Cross hen (don't know what with) along with 11 other EE and OE hens; the rooster is a Marans so some of the pullets are crossed with him. Anyway, the Legbar cross is laying a beautiful blue egg and I want more! LOL I'm full right now but in the Spring I'll be ready for chicks or even pullets as I sell off some.
Then your Legbar cross - must be crossed with a blue egg layer. If it came from Candace, perhaps there is a recessive lavender gene hiding there. ;o)

My niece sent me this article
https://insteading.com/blog/chickens-that-lay-blue-eggs/?ck_subscriber_id=609094710
If you look at it, you will see that they have an "Opal" -- as a blue-egg layer.

As I recall, only Candace had those, so I suspect that particular chicken traces back to her. How very cool is that? Also a side note the bird they are saying is a cream legbar (cockerel) -- looks about unrecognizable to me as a CL. Kind of sad what the breed as become IMO (of course that probably makes me a far outlier:rant) since the breed first arrived in the USA in 2011 and became distributed out in 2012--so 6-years of selective breeding has done that to them. :duc

If you don't want to click to the article, then here's the Opal photg.
upload_2019-11-6_8-10-54.png

Mine are similar in color and pattern but I've bred out the crests, because I didn't like want they did to the male's combs....there was never enough real estate on the chicken's head to have both a crest and a nice comb (very few at any rate)---I was pretty fortunate with my CLs because I kept crests SMALL while others were aiming for the look of the Polish breed. LOL.

Okay -- should I continue phase II of the project on this thread or start a new one for the on-gong future activity.
:confused:
It's not like there a too few threads on BYC....but going forward won't be as much about the genetics of getting to the autosexing Lavender Patterned Isabel Duckwing-Barred (It's a mouth-full) as about trying to sustain and improve the variety. Any thoughts?

You have chicken loving friends all over.:wee

How's the weather down there? We've already had snow on the ground up here.
It's actually beautiful here. 75 and sunny. Had ice on the bird-bath one day and it killed some tender vines by my tomato plant is still hanging in there. You've had snow. OMG -- You are made of tougher stuff then I am.
:th

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom