Lazy Peachick

I raise all of our chicks on 18% protein, medicated starter, it is not for gamebirds, just regular poultry. They do fine on this and since we started taking the feed away overnight so they do not overeat we have not had a single incidence of Twisted Tibia. I have also not had much feather picking even with the lower protein, my spaldings will occasionally feather pick, but it seems to be more behavioral than nutrition driven. The brand we buy is Manna Pro and it is medicated with amprolium.

What's the Ca level? I've had my peachicks with a feed tray full of medicated gamebird chick feed at 28% protein. I can't remember the Ca level but I need to look at the feed next time I go into the place I buy the feed. I know that feather eating can be caused by Ca deficiency. I though Ca would promote healthy bone structure and development in all animals and healthy, strong feathers and eggshells for birds.

Last edited:
What's the Ca level? I've had my peachicks with a feed tray full of medicated gamebird chick feed at 28% protein. I can't remember the Ca level but I need to look at the feed next time I go into the place I buy the feed. I know that feather eating can be caused by Ca deficiency. I though Ca would promote healthy bone structure and development in all animals and healthy, strong feathers and eggshells for birds.

Calcium is listed as min .75 % and max. 1.25%. Keep in mind that excessive Calcium can cause abnormal bone growth in young chicks. It's another of those "too much of a good thing can be a bad thing" situations.

Calcium is listed as min .75 % and max. 1.25%. Keep in mind that excessive Calcium can cause abnormal bone growth in young chicks. It's another of those "too much of a good thing can be a bad thing" situations.

I don't give the oyster shells to my peachicks. I need to look at the label to see what the Ca is for the peachicks. I believe it's 1.2% but I need to double check.

Medicated gamebird is hard to find in some places. Try looking for medicate turkey starter instead. FYI, the medication you want is amprolium.

-Kathy

I found 28% medicated feed! I had asked my feed store before the chicks were born but they said no. So today I asked if they sold medicated turkey starter and they said yes! So thank you for that suggestion! But I had to buy a 50lb bag. I don't see 3 peachicks consuming that much. Do you think I could store it in an air tight container in the basement till next spring when I hatch again?

I found 28% medicated feed! I had asked my feed store before the chicks were born but they said no. So today I asked if they sold medicated turkey starter and they said yes! So thank you for that suggestion! But I had to buy a 50lb bag. I don't see 3 peachicks consuming that much. Do you think I could store it in an air tight container in the basement till next spring when I hatch again?

I keep mine in a trash can that way nothing gets in it inside my peafowl coop. My 4 peachicks have gone through half a bag already though I give some to the other 4 peachicks with my adults. One of the peachicks likes to catch a ride by flying on mom or dad and lay down and let mom or dad do the walking. I wish I could get a picture of it.

Last edited:
I heard the feed will start losing the vitamins after 3 months.

That's what I was afraid of. Maybe they will go through that much, I don't know yet. I can always give some of it to the man that gave me the eggs. He has a hen sitting on a nest, so he should have babies soon. And honestly his birds are fed a horrible diet, I'm thinking a feeding or 2 of higher protein would benefit them anyway.

Back
Top Bottom