Lazy Peachick

I just read something that says turkeys fed a diet too low in niacin can develop a condition that looks very much like perosis, so I'm gonna guess the same is true for peas.

-Kathy
.Perosis or chondrodystrophy is encountered in young birds whose diet is deficient in manganese (Mn) or some of the following vitamins: choline, nicotic acid, pyridoxine, biotin or folic acid. This is an anatomic deformation of leg bones in young chickens, turkey poults, pheasant poults etc. It is characterized by retarded growth of long bones, widening of the tibiometatarsal joint, twisting or bending of the distal end of tibia and the proximal end of metatarsus and finally, slipping of the gastrocnemius muscle tendon from its condyles. Clinically, it is manifested by impaired locomotion because of leg lateral and posterior malposition of the leg.

This is the nutrition label on my adult peafowl feed. I also add oyster shells and my peafowl have grass and they look really healthy in my opinion.

I just read something that says turkeys fed a diet too low in niacin can develop a condition that looks very much like perosis, so I'm gonna guess the same is true for peas.

-Kathy

I know that ducklings need extra niacin for bone development. I bought brewers yeast tablets at the pet store and would crush them up and sprinkle a little on the duck's food. I wonder if that applies to peas as well?

I raise all of our chicks on 18% protein, medicated starter, it is not for gamebirds, just regular poultry. They do fine on this and since we started taking the feed away overnight so they do not overeat we have not had a single incidence of Twisted Tibia. I have also not had much feather picking even with the lower protein, my spaldings will occasionally feather pick, but it seems to be more behavioral than nutrition driven. The brand we buy is Manna Pro and it is medicated with amprolium.

Back
Top Bottom