Leann's "Adopt Me" Bargain from Myer Hatchery

Mandymooligan

Songster
8 Years
Mar 18, 2011
Chino Valley, AZ
Well I did it!! I ordered the Leann's "Adopt Me" Bargain from Myer Hatchery. It should be here next week. Curiousity got the best of me. I will (of course) post photos and a full review! I figured I better do it before it heats up.
wee.gif

I am so hopeful it will be a colorful assortment of lots of different breeds. And even a turkey or two
fl.gif

Happy to be of help! the chicks are 3 weeks old now and are doing great...and outgrowing the brooders quickly!! The previously unidentified ones turned out to be Barred Rocks, White Rock, Leghorn and Black Jersey Giant. also, a wheaten Easter Egger. One can never have enough Easter Eggers!! I think you will enjoy your assortment as much as we have!
yippiechickie.gif

I got leann adopt me bargin on Oct 15 got alot different breeds chickens/bantams no turkeys lost about 5 but the rest nice and healthy and getting big. I got brown and white leghorns,EE,BLRW, sebrights,bantam polish and blue ee bantam etc.I am very happy with my order.
thumbsup.gif

I know this is an old thread, but when I was thinking about ordering the Leann's assortment, I looked all over to find out what I might get, so I figure others will do the same. I ordered 15 chicks of Leann's from Meyer hatchery from the March 2 hatch and picked them up at the hatchery. Since I had to be in Ohio anyway I figured I'd save the shipping $ and save the chicks a rough ride via US postal service!
I was thrilled to see the variety when I opened the box at the hatchery! I could only figure out a few breeds right away. The Polish were pretty obvious!! My husband and college age son were with me. While we were checking out, dear hubby came over, looked in the box and said "That's it!? We came all this way for just that!?" Not the reaction I expected! Anyway to "make the trip worthwhile" I ordered another 15 Leann's chicks! When you order over 25 you get a freebie, so we walked out with 31 adorable babies! I have not identified them all yet, but I was able to wing-sex them and here's what we got:

20 Females
11 Males

1 buff Brahma
2 Buff Brahma Bantams (YaY!)
1 white crested Black Polish
1 White crested Blue Polish (COOL!)
2 Silver Polish
4 Buff Polish
2 Welsummers
1 Blue Ameraucana
1 Delaware
1 Light Brahma
1 Barnevelder
2 Gold Laced Wyandotte
1 Blue Splash Maran
2 Mille Fleur Bearded d'Uccle
1 Rhode Island Red
That's all I've been able to ID right now. The rest are black and white (austrolorp, Sex-link, Jersey Giant, barred Rock?) or just white so i'll just have to wait and see! All told, I would do this again!! It has been fun comparing and figuring them out..would have like some Salmon Faverolles or Turkeys, but that'll keep for next time. By the way, all chicks made it home, but I lost a Silver Polish about 4 days old. My fault, she had pasty butt and by the time I caught it, it was too late. The rest are jumping about and doing well! As for the sexing, I run about 90% accurate so-far.
So, if you are looking into getting some of Leann's , I'd say go for it!!

Last edited:
EEEEEKS!! I've got my Leanes Adopt Me Special being processed today.
jumpy.gif
My biggest fear was that I would get a bunch of white meat chickens but kept reading of people getting all these adorable bantams and some rare breeds so I thought I would take a chance. Then today Myer posted this on their FB page "Ready to ship out today: Golden Buff Female, White Broiler St Run, Broad Breasted White & Bronze Turkeys St Run, and many other female layers!!!!" I sure hope I do not get a bunch of white meat birds. I could never process my own birds. Please send positive thoughts my way. I will be chewing my fingernails off before they get here!
fl.gif
th.gif

Last edited:
Quote:
I hate to tell you, but the broad breasted turkeys you're getting are the equivalent of broiler chickens. Meaning they will have to be processed, also, before they start dying of heart problems, and things like that.

If you aren't able to do it, raise them up and sell them live on CL when they are almost butchering age.

Good luck,

Shelly

Quote:
I hate to tell you, but the broad breasted turkeys you're getting are the equivalent of broiler chickens. Meaning they will have to be processed, also, before they start dying of heart problems, and things like that.

If you aren't able to do it, raise them up and sell them live on CL when they are almost butchering age.

Good luck,

Shelly

Thanks Shelly, I will keep you posted, Ayeyiyi!!
barnie.gif

Back
Top Bottom