Leghorn Breeders Thread - All Varieties

Does anyone have advice for eliminating extended white in the face? I have a couple hens that were breeder prospects, until they hit their 2nd year. Then the white showed up. I hear that can be a common issue. So, is that something people accept or do we wait until their 2nd year to see if it crops up?

Wow! Is this really all there is for a Leghorn breeding thread on here?! Ouch. Is there anyone we can invite to share information and answer questions in this forum? I have so many questions!

For starters, what actually IS a "dark brown" genetically?
Dark Brown Leghorns are eb at the e locus and red enhanced by Mahogany, that is it all of other genes are wild in nature, the roosters are Black Breasted Mahogany

darkbrown1.jpg

Dark Brown Pullet, eb/eb, s+/-, Mh/Mh, one of the very few breeds that are eb/eb without any other pattern enhancing mutations
darkbrown2.jpg

Dark Brown Leghorns are eb at the e locus and red enhanced by Mahogany, that is it all of other genes are wild in nature, the roosters are Black Breasted Mahogany

View attachment 1920881

Dark Brown Pullet, eb/eb, s+/-, Mh/Mh, one of the very few breeds that are eb/eb without any other pattern enhancing mutations
View attachment 1920882
Thanks for this! Very helpful. Now i just have to find some. This is proving not to be a breed/variety with a bunch of breeders eager to welcome serous new hobbies breeders... or at least, i haven't found them yet!

Yeah....I've noticed the same issue. No one wants to spread their knowledge without circus hoops. A lot of assumptions are made when someone 'new' comes in. I got more input from an old La Fleche breeder. I'll just keep muddling forward on my own and disseminate all the old articles myself. Good luck Haiku!

I'll let you in on a little secret.
For a lot of beginners when searching for info they go to the experts.... Show breeders.
Well the mast majority of show breeders know their breed very well but actually know very little about color/pattern genetics. Even within their breed. It's not that they don't want to help but that they can't be much help in that regard.
With show breeders you stick to your color and breed towards the SOP for mostly type.
It is a sin to color cross so no one learns color/pattern genetics to any degree.

I'm super into color genetics and that's what got me into genetics and animal husbandry when I was a kid... the phenotype expression is much easier to work on and see obvious "black and white" results, so to speak.

BUT

Breeding for good type and balancing that with color AND production qualities... now THAT'S a challenge to me and that's what I'm hungry for in projects now. I got my Isabellas from Tbird84, but now I'm totally obsessed with tracking down some really stellar typey browns... both to improve the Isabellas AND breed and work on in their own right to hopefully compete at shows.

Heading to the national meet at the Heart of the Ozarks show next month and CANNOT wait to pick some brains! Are any of y'all going to be there?

I highly recommend Fred Zillich for Dark Browns.

Actually, his bantam whites are closer to SOP, but his Dark Browns are still very good... the best i got from shipped eggs. Also, very resonable prices. And he selects for egg size and production as well as SOP.

It has been awhile since i bought from him... through Facebook messenger I think......

Back
Top Bottom