Leghorn Breeders Thread - All Varieties

LF Leghorns are my favorite breed of poultry. I'm partial to whites and have not seen any browns in person. I'm not a fan of facebook, but there are some really nice looking Dark and light browns posted in some of the groups over there. It would be the place I'd look for Dark Brown breeders to talk with or find some eggs/trios.

I highly recommend Fred Zillich for Dark Browns.

Actually, his bantam whites are closer to SOP, but his Dark Browns are still very good... the best i got from shipped eggs. Also, very resonable prices. And he selects for egg size and production as well as SOP.

It has been awhile since i bought from him... through Facebook messenger I think......

Do you happen to have any photos of your birds from him? I wound up having to stay home and didn't get to the show. Very disappointed. At this point, I've spoken to Bud Blankenship about getting a couple of dozen hatching eggs in the spring, so I'll probably wind up breeding this full sibling group at least the first season. It will be interesting to see what it reveals. One of the pullets is really developing into a pretty nice looking bird and I'm more smitten with the cockerel every day.

Now if only they'd LAY! LOL @Tbird84, how old are they now? I feel like I'm doing something wrong!

I came across a breeding group of Silvers I was making arrangements to get but then the person went silent on me so I guess that fell through. :( Too bad, I was kind of really intrigued by the Silver x Isabella cross.

Do you happen to have any photos of your birds from him? I wound up having to stay home and didn't get to the show. Very disappointed. At this point, I've spoken to Bud Blankenship about getting a couple of dozen hatching eggs in the spring, so I'll probably wind up breeding this full sibling group at least the first season. It will be interesting to see what it reveals. One of the pullets is really developing into a pretty nice looking bird and I'm more smitten with the cockerel every day.

Now if only they'd LAY! LOL @Tbird84, how old are they now? I feel like I'm doing something wrong!

I came across a breeding group of Silvers I was making arrangements to get but then the person went silent on me so I guess that fell through. :( Too bad, I was kind of really intrigued by the Silver x Isabella cross.
Let me check my calendar for their hatch date.

I like chickens that are practical. That they are beautiful is a nice bonus. I do not care for feather-footed chickens or chickens with puffs of feathers on their heads. They generally are slow in maturing and/or poor at laying eggs. They also get more dirty and are generally less practical.

The Single Comb Light Brown Leghorn is a great egg layer and matures quickly. The hens are a pretty brown and salmon color. The roosters are some of the most beautiful chickens. These chickens are some of the best at foraging for food and avoiding predators, also.

I do not know much about chicken shows. Is this variety popular at poultry shows?

I like chickens that are practical. That they are beautiful is a nice bonus. I do not care for feather-footed chickens or chickens with puffs of feathers on their heads. They generally are slow in maturing and/or poor at laying eggs. They also get more dirty and are generally less practical.

The Single Comb Light Brown Leghorn is a great egg layer and matures quickly. The hens are a pretty brown and salmon color. The roosters are some of the most beautiful chickens. These chickens are some of the best at foraging for food and avoiding predators, also.

I do not know much about chicken shows. Is this variety popular at poultry shows?
I know zero about poultry shows.
I bet @The Moonshiner would know if they are or aren't popular.

In my area with leghorns of course whites are the most entered with light browns being a close second. There are very very few of the other varieties shown around here.
As for how common compared to all the other breeds. They're somewhere in the middle I suppose. Lots of more popular breeds but lots of breeds aren't even represented at all.
Oh how I miss the shows back in the 70s and 80s.

Back
Top Bottom