Lemon's Dog Adventure!

Do you like the name Bridgette?

• Total voters
Pics
Id let her wake you up, as otherwise she will get in a habit of those times going out. Also make night potty trips super boring, dont talk loudly, just say good girl softly and go back to sleep
Yeah, but with Guide Dogs for the Blind at least, I’ve also heard that being the one to initiate going out is best otherwise they’ll learn that whining = out of crate

Yeah, but with Guide Dogs for the Blind at least, I’ve also heard that being the one to initiate going out is best otherwise they’ll learn that whining = out of crate
I have never heard of that before. to me personally it doesn’t make sense, I prefer thinking of it as whines then gets what they need learns they can communicate their needs, and crate doesn’t mean they are confined from access needs or getting ignored

also if you take them out on a routine they will need the routine, while if you let them wake up when they really need to it helps their bladder control

I've never heard of this before, but I kinda do this with my dog. Whether he wants or needs to go out, he likes to get all hyper and such, which is something I don't like. So what I've been training him to do instead of being all crazy like that is he's to quietly sit by the door to indicate that he needs to go out. It's taken him some time to learn this, but he's catching on. Whenever he gets hyper, I ignore him, but when he sits by the door, I ask his favorite question (I praised him greatly when he was first learning and occasionally still do) and immediately take him out as an award. It's been working well so far as far as his terms when I'm not letting him out on mine.

Teaching the dog that they go out on your terms and not their's I think probably helps eliminate some behavioral problems as well. Like this one issue I've had with my dog is he'll lift a leg down my hall when he's mad at me for not doing what he wants. (Example, he wants to go for a ride, but I can't take him with me for whatever reason, and he'll go down there.) To deal with this, I've been eliminating doing the things that he'll put as 'expect' by either not doing them, or take them out of habit. (I'll also block off the hall whenever I see him in specific moods that might lead him to be naughty.)

I've never heard of this before, but I kinda do this with my dog. Whether he wants or needs to go out, he likes to get all hyper and such, which is something I don't like. So what I've been training him to do instead of being all crazy like that is he's to quietly sit by the door to indicate that he needs to go out. It's taken him some time to learn this, but he's catching on. Whenever he gets hyper, I ignore him, but when he sits by the door, I ask his favorite question (I praised him greatly when he was first learning and occasionally still do) and immediately take him out as an award. It's been working well so far as far as his terms when I'm not letting him out on mine.

Teaching the dog that they go out on your terms and not their's I think probably helps eliminate some behavioral problems as well. Like this one issue I've had with my dog is he'll lift a leg down my hall when he's mad at me for not doing what he wants. (Example, he wants to go for a ride, but I can't take him with me for whatever reason, and he'll go down there.) To deal with this, I've been eliminating doing the things that he'll put as 'expect' by either not doing them, or take them out of habit. (I'll also block off the hall whenever I see him in specific moods that might lead him to be naughty.)
teaching the dog a way to ask for things that is appropriate for you is important but I wouldn’t do this with a young puppy

wait until the puppy is older, has matured more and has better bladder control before trying to get them to be calmer when asking. Their brain is still developing so they actually can not do the same things an adult can

She is so very cute!

I remember when we were house training our dog. When she would have an accident, we'd put her outside whilst we cleaned up. Of course she learned that peeing indoors meant she got to go outside. We very quickly switched over to putting her in the crate when she had an accident, and we put bells on the doors. She learned swiftly to not pee in the house, and to ring her bell in order to go out.

Snowed today as well! Bridgette’s first snow!

Attachments

• IMG_1732.jpeg
    IMG_1732.jpeg
    300.1 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_1721.jpeg
    IMG_1721.jpeg
    326.6 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_1710.jpeg
    IMG_1710.jpeg
    471.9 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_1702.jpeg
    IMG_1702.jpeg