Moving on after parvo heartbreak

Gizabelle

Crowing
Dec 30, 2018
North Florida
Warning, this is probably going to get long-winded, so if you want to just skip to puppy pictures, that's cool too. :)

Some of you probably saw thread about Bruno the rescue puppy that we had for only a few days, if not and you're interested, here is the link:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/bruno-new-pup-with-parvo.1509821/
It was an absolutely tragic experience and also left us with a major problem in regards to the safety of our next puppy.

Over the years we have come to understand that we are happiest as a two-dog household. When my husband and I met, we each had a dog that went pretty much everywhere with us (even to work daily at our respective jobs). Appreciation for a strong bond with our pups was actually one of the many things that drew us to each other. So when we lost dear TJ (lab/pit mix) at 15 this past fall, my husband was understandably lost without her. We have Sunny (2yr/sheltie) of course, and while he loves and plays with her, it's obvious that her special bond is with me.

In January DH decided that he was ready to start looking for another dog, and started by looking for large-breed mixes with a eye towards a mastiff cross. We found Bruno at the end of January, and tragedy followed.

If it were my decision alone, I would prefer to wait at least 6 months or so before bringing home another dog, but I completely understand and respect where DH is coming from. I met with our vet to discuss safety and options for our next dog. Everything that we already knew was confirmed... no unvaccinated/partially vaccinated dogs on the property for at least two years. 16wks would be the earliest possible age we can bring home a new pup.

After much discussion, DH and I narrowed down options. An adult rescue would be the obvious choice, but we have a young child and wide variety of animals on the property. (Its not just any dog that can be expected to live peaceably with a raccoon, after all) DH still had his heart set on a mastiff or mastiff mix, so a puppy (even at 4 months) is still the best fit for our situation.
After a few weeks of watching DH deal with FB dead ends, scammers and puppy mill jockeys, I stepped in again and suggested we find a good breeder rather than trust to FB and luck. AKC marketplace connected me to the perfect match.
We are so very lucky to have found the breeder that we are now working with. She is wonderful, and obviously cares a great deal about her dogs. I explained our situation and to my amazement, not only did she not hang up on me, she actually thanked me for my candor. She readily agreed to keep a pup for us until the 4 month mark, continue scheduled vaccines, and even begin socialization. Her largest (pick of the litter) male had been reserved, but the agreement fell through and he became available shortly before we first spoke.
So... we gave her a deposit for an absolutely adorable 4 week old English mastiff.

IMG951518001.jpg

IMG_1679.jpg

IMG_1692.jpg

We normally don't name animals until we get to know them, but since he'll be with the breeder much longer than usual we figured it would be in his best interest to go ahead and give him name. DH has the final say, and hasn't 100% decided yet, but it looks like its going to be Angus or Otis (most likely the latter)

He will be ready to come home mid May.

Warning, this is probably going to get long-winded, so if you want to just skip to puppy pictures, that's cool too. :)

Some of you probably saw thread about Bruno the rescue puppy that we had for only a few days, if not and you're interested, here is the link:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/bruno-new-pup-with-parvo.1509821/
It was an absolutely tragic experience and also left us with a major problem in regards to the safety of our next puppy.

Over the years we have come to understand that we are happiest as a two-dog household. When my husband and I met, we each had a dog that went pretty much everywhere with us (even to work daily at our respective jobs). Appreciation for a strong bond with our pups was actually one of the many things that drew us to each other. So when we lost dear TJ (lab/pit mix) at 15 this past fall, my husband was understandably lost without her. We have Sunny (2yr/sheltie) of course, and while he loves and plays with her, it's obvious that her special bond is with me.

In January DH decided that he was ready to start looking for another dog, and started by looking for large-breed mixes with a eye towards a mastiff cross. We found Bruno at the end of January, and tragedy followed.

If it were my decision alone, I would prefer to wait at least 6 months or so before bringing home another dog, but I completely understand and respect where DH is coming from. I met with our vet to discuss safety and options for our next dog. Everything that we already knew was confirmed... no unvaccinated/partially vaccinated dogs on the property for at least two years. 16wks would be the earliest possible age we can bring home a new pup.

After much discussion, DH and I narrowed down options. An adult rescue would be the obvious choice, but we have a young child and wide variety of animals on the property. (Its not just any dog that can be expected to live peaceably with a raccoon, after all) DH still had his heart set on a mastiff or mastiff mix, so a puppy (even at 4 months) is still the best fit for our situation.
After a few weeks of watching DH deal with FB dead ends, scammers and puppy mill jockeys, I stepped in again and suggested we find a good breeder rather than trust to FB and luck. AKC marketplace connected me to the perfect match.
We are so very lucky to have found the breeder that we are now working with. She is wonderful, and obviously cares a great deal about her dogs. I explained our situation and to my amazement, not only did she not hang up on me, she actually thanked me for my candor. She readily agreed to keep a pup for us until the 4 month mark, continue scheduled vaccines, and even begin socialization. Her largest (pick of the litter) male had been reserved, but the agreement fell through and he became available shortly before we first spoke.
So... we gave her a deposit for an absolutely adorable 4 week old English mastiff.

View attachment 3003729
View attachment 3003738
View attachment 3003745
We normally don't name animals until we get to know them, but since he'll be with the breeder much longer than usual we figured it would be in his best interest to go ahead and give him name. DH has the final say, and hasn't 100% decided yet, but it looks like its going to be Angus or Otis (most likely the latter)

He will be ready to come home mid May.
What a cutie! So sorry about Bruno, it’s horrible to lose a pet. That first picture made my heart MELT❤️

...no unvaccinated/partially vaccinated dogs on the property for at least two years....
She readily agreed to keep a pup for us until the 4 month mark, continue scheduled vaccines, and even begin socialization....

Will you be able to visit and start getting to know the pup before he comes home?
Or would that be dangerous, in case you bring parvo germs with you?
(Or it might be impossible, if you live too far away.)

Unfortunately, she is about 4+hrs away, but even if she were close, I don't think I'd be comfortable with that. We've thoroughly cleaned and bleached the inside of our home, but the yard cannot be cleaned and you never know what you might be picking up and redistributing on your shoes.
But we are lucky that she is willing to start basics and socialization with him. She has a teen daughter that has already chosen him as her litter favorite and is already giving him tons of one on one attention. (I really hope that keeping him longer won't make it even harder for her to let him go) The breeder has also offered to start taking him with her to vending events that she does on the weekends when he's old enough.
I hate that we'll be getting to know him so late in his puppyhood, but his health is so much more important.

I would be very, very hesitant to bring a puppy onto a property with a previous parvo case. Even fully vaccinated, if the strain on the property is different from the one the puppy is vaccinated for it can contract it.

I would avoid letting him out onto the grass or really anywhere the previous puppy was. Wishing you best of luck with this pup and please be careful! ♥️

I would be very, very hesitant to bring a puppy onto a property with a previous parvo case. Even fully vaccinated, if the strain on the property is different from the one the puppy is vaccinated for it can contract it.

I would avoid letting him out onto the grass or really anywhere the previous puppy was. Wishing you best of luck with this pup and please be careful! ♥️
I appreciate your concerns, I share them! That's why I had an hour long consultation with our vet to discuss our options long before bringing home a new dog.
We will be following her advice to the letter, including limiting the pup's access to only parts of the yard that Bruno never entered. We'll have to do this for approx 2-4wks.
We also discussed the prevalence of this virus in everyday places. It is so hardy and so widespread that you will find it in every dog park, vet's office, and anywhere else dogs frequent. My vet went on to say that as long as we are waiting until the dog has received a full puppy series, we might actually be in a better position than other owners because we are acutely aware of the danger and are taking every precaution against it.
Also, the 2 standard vaccines used today both prevent infection for all 3 strains of parvo. The problem is not a different strain, its imperfect immunity. Its rare in adult dogs, but seen in puppies due to the interaction of maternal antibodies preventing the desired immune response. This is why puppy vacs are given in a series, because the time required for the maternal antibody levels to drop low enough to allow an immune response from the puppy varies with every litter. We also discussed the use of titer testing. My vet is currently researching how/when/if we should test.

Still, yes... I'm anxious too. But I assure, we would not be going into this without our vet's blessing.

Last edited:
Good luck with the pup! I hope this time it all works out for you.
I'm a bit of an outlier on this view point but I prefer older pups raised with their dams, as long as the mother is well trained and the breeder responsible. Pups will learn from their parents how to be DOGS.
I have some family members who insist on getting dogs or cats at the 6 wk mark. It in my experience leads to heavily bonded animals prone to separation anxiety with limited social skills.

Back
Top Bottom