Moving on after parvo heartbreak

Congratulations on your new puppy. I have always wanted an English Mastiff but in my current situation that is out of the question. I think you have made wise decisions all around. Please keep us posted. Just for ducks, read up everything you can on the parvo virus itself. Like what it needs to live so maybe you can kill most of it in the yard before you bring your new puppy home.

Warning, this is probably going to get long-winded, so if you want to just skip to puppy pictures, that's cool too. :)

Some of you probably saw thread about Bruno the rescue puppy that we had for only a few days, if not and you're interested, here is the link:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/bruno-new-pup-with-parvo.1509821/
It was an absolutely tragic experience and also left us with a major problem in regards to the safety of our next puppy.

Over the years we have come to understand that we are happiest as a two-dog household. When my husband and I met, we each had a dog that went pretty much everywhere with us (even to work daily at our respective jobs). Appreciation for a strong bond with our pups was actually one of the many things that drew us to each other. So when we lost dear TJ (lab/pit mix) at 15 this past fall, my husband was understandably lost without her. We have Sunny (2yr/sheltie) of course, and while he loves and plays with her, it's obvious that her special bond is with me.

In January DH decided that he was ready to start looking for another dog, and started by looking for large-breed mixes with a eye towards a mastiff cross. We found Bruno at the end of January, and tragedy followed.

If it were my decision alone, I would prefer to wait at least 6 months or so before bringing home another dog, but I completely understand and respect where DH is coming from. I met with our vet to discuss safety and options for our next dog. Everything that we already knew was confirmed... no unvaccinated/partially vaccinated dogs on the property for at least two years. 16wks would be the earliest possible age we can bring home a new pup.

After much discussion, DH and I narrowed down options. An adult rescue would be the obvious choice, but we have a young child and wide variety of animals on the property. (Its not just any dog that can be expected to live peaceably with a raccoon, after all) DH still had his heart set on a mastiff or mastiff mix, so a puppy (even at 4 months) is still the best fit for our situation.
After a few weeks of watching DH deal with FB dead ends, scammers and puppy mill jockeys, I stepped in again and suggested we find a good breeder rather than trust to FB and luck. AKC marketplace connected me to the perfect match.
We are so very lucky to have found the breeder that we are now working with. She is wonderful, and obviously cares a great deal about her dogs. I explained our situation and to my amazement, not only did she not hang up on me, she actually thanked me for my candor. She readily agreed to keep a pup for us until the 4 month mark, continue scheduled vaccines, and even begin socialization. Her largest (pick of the litter) male had been reserved, but the agreement fell through and he became available shortly before we first spoke.
So... we gave her a deposit for an absolutely adorable 4 week old English mastiff.

View attachment 3003729
View attachment 3003738
View attachment 3003745
We normally don't name animals until we get to know them, but since he'll be with the breeder much longer than usual we figured it would be in his best interest to go ahead and give him name. DH has the final say, and hasn't 100% decided yet, but it looks like its going to be Angus or Otis (most likely the latter)

He will be ready to come home mid May.
Your choice of a mastiff is one of the best ones you'll make they are amazing dogs the only two breeds id ever recommend would be mastiffs and Aussies congrats on a gorgeous baby!

6 week check up
IMG951855.jpg

We're so excited to bring him home...but we have another 10 weeks to go!

IMG_1906.jpg
IMG_1907.jpg
IMG_1908.jpg

Received more pics from the breeder this morning. Otis' littermates have started going to their homes.
She'll be down to him and one other by next weekend.
It's killing us that we'll have to watch these puppy days from pics/videos only, but we'll get to 16wks (with all requisite vax) soon enough and we'll be off to bring him home.

While losing Bruno was very heartbreaking I am glad you were there for him. :hugs

This new little fellow seems wonderful.
I also prefer pups that stay with the dam longer than 8 weeks. They learn so much from 8-12 weeks from the dam.
I got my Sable at 13 weeks. She is now 4 years old. She has been perfect! Never was she nippy with those sharp puppy teeth. Gunner......he came home at 8 weeks and is like a crazy alligator on land looking to bite on everything and everyone. It's up to my adult dogs to teach him to behave better, my arms and legs can't take much more. Finally now at 11 weeks we are starting to see improvement.

While the wait is difficult it will be so worth it. He's in good hands.

The only part I'm a little unsure about is keeping him intact until 2.
I grew up with Akias, so big dogs are nothing new, but they were females. A 180lb intact male is a bit intimidating. (Testosterone can do some crazy things) I have owned and trained a stud horse in his prime as well, but a dog seems more complicated.
I know the answer is training and control though, and that will certainly be an ongoing process.

The only part I'm a little unsure about is keeping him intact until 2.
I grew up with Akias, so big dogs are nothing new, but they were females. A 180lb intact male is a bit intimidating. (Testosterone can do some crazy things) I have owned and trained a stud horse in his prime as well, but a dog seems more complicated.
I know the answer is training and control though, and that will certainly be an ongoing process.

Most of the time there are no issues that come up. We wait til the dogs are grown up too.

Back
Top Bottom