Moving on after parvo heartbreak

So, the little brindle female in the later pictures has yet to find a home. The breeder has offered her to us if she hasn't found a home by the time we go to pick Otis up in a few weeks.
I'm really torn. We definitely have the space. The Akita mixes that we had when I was a teenager were littermates (rescues) and we never had bonding or training issues with them, but everything that I'm seeing online advises against it.
DH is planning on taking Otis to work with him most days and I work from home, so I know we could manage the individual attention/training.
Any thoughts?

DH is planning on taking Otis to work with him most days and I work from home, so I know we could manage the individual attention/training.
Any thoughts?
My thoughts relate to some things you said in the first post of this thread:

Over the years we have come to understand that we are happiest as a two-dog household. When my husband and I met, we each had a dog that went pretty much everywhere with us (even to work daily at our respective jobs). Appreciation for a strong bond with our pups was actually one of the many things that drew us to each other. So when we lost dear TJ (lab/pit mix) at 15 this past fall, my husband was understandably lost without her. We have Sunny (2yr/sheltie) of course, and while he loves and plays with her, it's obvious that her special bond is with me.

If Otis is your husband's dog, and you already have Sunny the sheltie, do you want another dog? That would make a 3-dog household, and I think it means that two of those dogs would be "yours" (i.e. not your husband's).

I would think about whether that is the way you want to live for the next decade or so.
I would also think about whether that will be good for Sunny and for the female mastiff puppy.

I don't know the right answer for you, but those are the main points that stand out to me.

I don't personally know whether raising two puppies at once is a problem or not (I've seen anecdotes both ways, which makes me think it probably works fine in some cases but not others.)

So, the little brindle female in the later pictures has yet to find a home. The breeder has offered her to us if she hasn't found a home by the time we go to pick Otis up in a few weeks.
I'm really torn. We definitely have the space. The Akita mixes that we had when I was a teenager were littermates (rescues) and we never had bonding or training issues with them, but everything that I'm seeing online advises against it.
Any thoughts?

I had litter mates too. I am so glad we had both of them. They were never an issue to train or handle. They definitely bonded with us while still being bonded to each other.

It's nice when they have a playmate too.

My thoughts relate to some things you said in the first post of this thread:

If Otis is your husband's dog, and you already have Sunny the sheltie, do you want another dog? That would make a 3-dog household, and I think it means that two of those dogs would be "yours" (i.e. not your husband's).

I would think about whether that is the way you want to live for the next decade or so.
I would also think about whether that will be good for Sunny and for the female mastiff puppy.

I don't know the right answer for you, but those are the main points that stand out to me.

I don't personally know whether raising two puppies at once is a problem or not (I've seen anecdotes both ways, which makes me think it probably works fine in some cases but not others.)
You hit the nail on the head. Thanks for taking the time to write that... I needed it.

Parvo virus can stay active for up to 6 months even on the ground.I didn't take time to read all post.I raised APBT for many years.I had all checked for brucellosis and if I was purchasing I get seller to have cleared before purchase.Cleaning whelping boxes and stuff contaminated it can be passed to humans bad news.Also had them screen for babesia.Any ways wish you the best with your new pup.Cheers

Back
Top Bottom