Lets talk about goats!

Hi all, I haven't posted in a while. My doe kidded on Feb 15th. She had triplets. 2 boys, 1 girl. One of the boys and the girl both died the same night. It was -20 outside, and even with a heat lamp they froze to death. The biggest baby, a buck survived and is doing well now. Here is a picture.
That's to bad. What kind of goat is this?

They are Nigerian Dwarfs.
I absolutely adore their personality. Their size is icing on the cake. Their milk is the BEST milk I have ever tasted!
My only learned lesson so far is that I will never breed for winter babies again. I will breed late fall (November, December, January) for spring/late spring babies. Its just too cold where I live. Even today we were -20 and its almost March.

They are Nigerian Dwarfs.
I absolutely adore their personality. Their size is icing on the cake. Their milk is the BEST milk I have ever tasted!
My only learned lesson so far is that I will never breed for winter babies again. I will breed late fall (November, December, January) for spring/late spring babies. Its just too cold where I live. Even today we were -20 and its almost March.
I can't imagine having babies in that weather. We're worried about ours and it's 34 here right now. We're scared to death that they're not going to make it through their first night for some reason.

I get to take pygmy goats for 4-h this year and I'm real excited it'll be the first time I've ever raised goats. I was wondering how much room 2 pygmy goats would need house and pen wise. I live in the country with a big yard and woods,we also have chickens(of course),ducks,rabbits,dogs,cats,and I can't wait to get into goats. Any raising tips would be appreciated

[COLOR=333333]I get to take pygmy goats for 4-h this year and I'm real excited it'll be the first time I've ever raised goats. I was wondering how much room 2 pygmy goats would need house and pen wise. I live in the country with a big yard and woods,we also have chickens(of course),ducks,rabbits,dogs,cats,and I can't wait to get into goats. Any raising tips would be appreciated[/COLOR]

I don't have pygmy goats, but I do have Nigerian Dwarfs which are similar is size. We have about 150sq ft for 5 NDs and their grazing area is about 2 acres fenced in. We also take them for walks about every day about 1/4 mile through the woods on our property. They graze and eat brush on the walk, and its good exercise.
That's just how we do it, but many people do it many different ways.
Good luck on your goat adventure!!! I'm sure they will have you hooked in no time!
Goat math is similar to chicken math ;-) so don't say I didn't warn you.

I don't have pygmy goats, but I do have Nigerian Dwarfs which are similar is size. We have about 150sq ft for 5 NDs and their grazing area is about 2 acres fenced in. We also take them for walks about every day about 1/4 mile through the woods on our property. They graze and eat brush on the walk, and its good exercise.
That's just how we do it, but many people do it many different ways.
Good luck on your goat adventure!!! I'm sure they will have you hooked in no time!
Goat math is similar to chicken math ;-) so don't say I didn't warn you.
Thanks,I've been reading different things on goats and got a pretty good idea. And we have a good bit of woods with a trail through the whole thing so I think I'll take them on walks as well.

Back
Top Bottom