Little Giant Incubation Experiment - Day 21 - Hatch Day!

Which model Little Giant do you prefer?

• Model 9200 (Manual controls)

Votes: 24 44.4%
  • Model 9300 (Digital controls)

Votes: 30 55.6%

• Total voters
Good to know. Thanks AmyLynn.

I go into lockdown in just a couple of hours.

Can you tell me how your vent holes work? I assume open vents will decrease the humidity more quickly than closed? And how do they affect the temps? Mine doesn't have vent holes but I'm gonna drill some after this batch is done.
I generally keep my vents/plugs open. (The plugs are actually gone...lol So I use quaters to cover if I need to....lol) So, what I have been doing is if the temp dips a little under my 99.5 I will cover a vent to get that little bit of extra to bring it back around, When it gets back above that I remove the cover. Mind you it's staying in the 99 range for the most part, we are generally talking about a couple tenths of a degree. Generally if it starts creeping up to the 100 mark I add a couple drops of water and it evens it right out. It stays the most steady at 40% humidty...it'll stay right at a perfect 99.5%, but I'd like a little less humidity, (I prefer dry, but right now it's too dry in here) so I'm trying to get the (heat) setting at the right point so it'll hold 99.5 at 25-30%. The only problem is when I am striving for humidity that low, the water evaporates quicker and I neeed to add more often. With out water in my bator right now it will only hold about 16% and I'm uncomfortable with it being THAT low. Overall I can't complain. Knock on wood, No spikes or extreme dips. I'm basically trying to perfect the 99.5 lol

So I have come to the conclusion that one side of my heating element is hotter than the other. One thermometer reads higher, when I switch the thermometers the other willl read higher. So instead of rotating the 40 eggs, I am rotating the lid...lol I think it's time to break down and buy myself a incubator.

I have a 9300 and a 9200 running right now. My faithful old (beat up) 9200 is holding steady at 101F (both are still airs), but I'm seriously about to drop kick the 9300. I ran both 'bators empty for a week and they held steady temps perfectly. Then, I put my eggs in last night and went to bed. When I woke up today, the 9200 was where it should be. The 9300, however, was reading 96.8. I've had to adjust the temp on the 9300 up to 106.5 to get it to be 101! I'm using a Brinsea Spot check to check temps in both 'bators, and each has a mercury thermometer of their own. The Brinsea is matching both mercury themometers, so I'm confident they're all accurate (and I calibrate them before each hatch to be sure). I'm seriously NOT liking my new LG. Its driving me crazy. Its where it should be now, but I'm a little bit worried about having to set the temp that high on the digital thermostat. I've used it only one other time, and I had to do the same thing, but I figured that had to do with the weather being cold and us heating with a wood stove. Nope, temps are warmer now and the wood stove isn't going right now and our house is at 70F.

Anyone else had this problem with their new LG?

I have a 9300 and a 9200 running right now. My faithful old (beat up) 9200 is holding steady at 101F (both are still airs), but I'm seriously about to drop kick the 9300. I ran both 'bators empty for a week and they held steady temps perfectly. Then, I put my eggs in last night and went to bed. When I woke up today, the 9200 was where it should be. The 9300, however, was reading 96.8. I've had to adjust the temp on the 9300 up to 106.5 to get it to be 101! I'm using a Brinsea Spot check to check temps in both 'bators, and each has a mercury thermometer of their own. The Brinsea is matching both mercury themometers, so I'm confident they're all accurate (and I calibrate them before each hatch to be sure). I'm seriously NOT liking my new LG. Its driving me crazy. Its where it should be now, but I'm a little bit worried about having to set the temp that high on the digital thermostat. I've used it only one other time, and I had to do the same thing, but I figured that had to do with the weather being cold and us heating with a wood stove. Nope, temps are warmer now and the wood stove isn't going right now and our house is at 70F.

Anyone else had this problem with their new LG?
ALOT of people have. Ask this question on the Easter Hal thread and cover your head...lol silkie-feet is like one of the only ones I know that are liking theirs...lol

Well, here's my first baby, under an hour old.

i have mine right now set at 98.0 and my 3 some what accurate gauges all say 100 its crazy if you move the probe in the unit just a few inches it will change the temp in the unit im going to glue a wood block to the bottom of the probe and make a slot for it to sit in so when i turn my eggs i no its in the same spot as before plus the wood block will bring it up to egg level...

I just ordered and received a Brinsea Spot Check thermometer and it appears to be perfect! Now to find a way to elevate it to top-of-the-egg level, without laying it on the eggs (instructions say not to let it touch the eggs) Anyone had any luck with any supports of any kind? I'm thinking of looking for a plastic ball or something at the dollar store that will fit in the turner, and maybe I can cut a slot in it to hold the probe at the right height.
I have mine taped to the outside window of the incubator. The probe is fed through one of the small vent holes, with the cord taped to the other window to keep the probe at egg level (I hope that makes sense). The actual thermometer where the temperature is displayed isn't in the 'bator. I love my Spot Check too. I'm going to order another one so I have one for each of my 'bators.

Yea! I'm glad you figured out your problem.

TY, I'm not sure I figured it out, but my solution is working for whatever reason so I will not look a gift horse in the mouth...lol
Nice to hear that this one has worked for you! I almost ordered it, but was unsure. I ended up ordering a Brinsea Spot Check, going on their reputation and a couple other folks' recommendations. Same price as that one, but does NOT read humidity. Ugh! :( I have found the Spot Check to be very accurate. I've bought enough thermometers and hygrometers to stock my own store now! Because I agree, its all so nerve racking, you want a dependable one. But good golly, you would think it would be easier to find one that actually works and works right!
It is nerve wracking. It's suprising how innaccurate these accurate thermometers are.

Back
Top Bottom