Little Giant Incubation Experiment - Day 21 - Hatch Day!

Which model Little Giant do you prefer?

• Model 9200 (Manual controls)

Votes: 24 44.4%
  • Model 9300 (Digital controls)

Votes: 30 55.6%

• Total voters
I had this idea this morning. Most know how SC and I like to torment each other (in fun of course) being from not only opposite sides in our methodology but of totally opposite equiptment quality. Him with his fancy Brinsea and me with my lowly lil ole giant styrofoam bator.
wink.png
Anyway I was thinking that we should at some point before the summer is over, (prefferably after I have my coops up here for the Easter chicks), we should do a set of eggs together. (I realize mine will be an even bigger disadvantage because my next set will be with my own eggs from my PULLETS. And not sure how that will be. Hopefully they will be big enough and of good quality.) I'm just talking a dozen or two. (However many I can get that are decent size in a weeks time...lol) We could start a thread LG vs Brinsea- conservative vs semi-liberal, lol and document how each hatch is going and how we differ with our methods and the outcomes. No it wouldn't be scientific or prove anything with too many BIG variables, but I think it'd be fun. What do you think?
thumbsup.gif
Great idea.
From what I've read from you, our results would be similar. The interesting comparison would be in the daily notes. You would have to keep up with every adjustment and change on a daily basis. Here is a sample of what the average Brinsea user's notes would look like:
Day 1: Turn on, add water, and set eggs
Day 2: nothing
Day 3: nothing
Day 4: nothing
Day 5: nothing
Day 6: remembered to glance at gauges. all good
Day 7: Add water
Day 8: candle
Day 9: nothing
Day 10: nothing
Day 11: nothing
Day 12: add water
Day 13: Oh yeah, gauges. Nevermind, all good
Day 14: candle. The chicks are starting to tie their ascots
Day 15: nothing
Day 16: nothing
Day 17: nothing
Day 18: Lockdown
Day 19: nothing
Day 20: 1 early hatch, 3 pips. Leave him in there
Day 21: Don't know how many hatched, can't count. Leave them in there
Day 22: Take out chicks. A few have already been accepted to Harvard. 2 pipped eggs remaining
Day 23: Last 2 hatched overnight. Spent a grueling 5 minutes washing the incubator and set the next batch

Last edited:
Let the fun and games begin. My bator is chirping. I've kept it dry from day 14 until now. Just added water to the 2 shallow dishes in the bottom, have a sponge and 2 dry wall screws at the ready to screw the sponge to the wall over yet an other ventilation hole! This time, I'm prepared with aquarium tubing and syringes running to both dishes. Can access the sponge with a straw. Eggs are in styrofoam cartons with the bottoms punched out. I've never done it that way, but, with small air cells, IMO, change is good! In the mean while, I have a broody all by herself in the old coop diligently tending a clutch of golf balls! Was hoping to slip her some eggs tonight, but with them already chirping, I hesitate to.

wee.gif
jumpy.gif
yippiechickie.gif
jumpy.gif
yippiechickie.gif
wee.gif

I'm just a little bit excited.

Last edited:
So... I put 3 Serama eggs in the bator and I have one Healthy chick that made it! I am so Happy!!! My daughter was thrilled that 9 of our BCM hatched and loves our one little Serama....

i will try to take some photos tomorrow and post them!
wee.gif

Michele

So candled for day 7 and all 15 are growing well! Will be getting 8 more eggs in the mail in the next few days! I will be over run with Polish in the next few weeks! SLP, GLP, BLP, WC Blue/Cuckoo possible frizzle and a mixed SLP/Americauna.

You certainly don't sound dumb, we were all new at this whole hatching thing at some point :) And LGs can be tricky, hence the need for this thread!

You should be measuring your temperature at the top of the eggs. But, 99-100 at the bottom is probably just about right, if not a touch high.

I use a Brinsea Spot Check thermometer, its incredibly accurate and I can watch every little change in temp when the 'bator heats up and cools down a bit when it switches off. It has a probe I can stick down through the vent hole in the top of the 'bator so it can tell me the temp at the top of the eggs. I tape the unit to the lid and tape the cord in place so the probe stays where I want it. Then I stick at least one glass medical thermometer (the kind you stick under your tongue) on the floor of the incubator. If I were to rely on the read out the LG gives me, I'd never get anything to hatch.

You're close to hatch day, at this point I'd leave everything alone and take note of when hatching starts. If they're early, you're temp is a little high. If they're late, it was low. Keep an eye on when they hatch, and adjust your temperature on the incubator to compensate for your next hatch.

Best of luck!

I think most products get bad reviews at one time or another. Some just have to be taken with a grain of salt. You have to take the user into account! Haha.

Hey @Silkie-Feet have you tried the weight method? Checking weight loss as you go along? I'm trying that now, since it was the only thing that made scientific sense to me, to try to get my humidity adjusted correctly. I'm on day 23 with ducks.

Back
Top Bottom