Little Giant Incubation Experiment - Day 21 - Hatch Day!

Which model Little Giant do you prefer?

• Model 9200 (Manual controls)

Votes: 24 44.4%
  • Model 9300 (Digital controls)

Votes: 30 55.6%

• Total voters
Barnyard mix: EE roo over: SLW, Dominique = BSL, walnut comb green egg layers. EE roo over: Pioneer, BSL pea comb green egg layer, home bred BSL, EE, RIR, Rose comb brown leghorns. So, all of the chicks will be either pea or walnut comb, pullets will be either green or blue egg layers. I'm doing a bit of an experiment, if you're interested in following along: The title of the thread is: Nutrition and gender, and inducing broodiness.

What is the room temp?

Are you "setting" it correctly?

It says it's set on 100.2 but the other thermometer says it's set at 94 and the room temp is 72

First off let me say I do not have one of these incubators, and am hoping that somebody posting here that is actually using one will chime in ... Hint-Hint ;)

When you say that your other thermometer says ... Have you confirmed it is accurate?

The problem with having two (or three) thermometers that do not read the same, how do you know which one is right, or either?

If you have a thermometer that has a probe, you can take a glass filled with ice, and add water, the thermometer should read 32 if it is accurate! If it says 34 subtracting two degrees to it should be fairly close when it says 102 ...

Human under the tongue thermometers will work for this test, or an outdoor mercury bulb type ...

It is possible that the thermostat is not working correctly, or the heating element is defective ...

Good to hear others are working and chicks are hatching!

Last edited:
I have a little giant model 9300 can anyone please tell me how I can get the temperature to go up because it want go up at all it stays around 93 degrees

Is the heater in constant *on* mode ? I know that if I have the built in probe right under the heater that it is going to be much cooler in spots around the front side of the bator. I usually put the probe toward the front end and then put my two other thermos on the sides...

This way I can keep the heat running without it shutting off and saying * chick okay* on me- when it is too cool in there.

I have also added rocks at the bottom - which seemed to have helped keep the warm air.

Is the heater in constant *on* mode ? I know that if I have the built in probe right under the heater that it is going to be much cooler in spots around the front side of the bator. I usually put the probe toward the front end and then put my two other thermos on the sides...

This way I can keep the heat running without it shutting off and saying * chick okay* on me- when it is too cool in there.

I have also added rocks at the bottom - which seemed to have helped keep the warm air.

I only have 12 eggs in my bator right now. So I keep them directly underneath the heater. I have noticed that if I set it to 106.3 that I will have a pretty stable temp around 101.8. It does fluctuate a bit but not by much. I actually had a temp spike yesterday where the therm read 111.9! I freaked out and had to cool my babies off. I checked them and all are atill moving well so hopefully they will all hatch on time this coming Monday.

i have the 9300 i just put the fan kit in but I'm still having problems with cold spots under the control box is alot cooler then under the heater does any one have any tricks to get a more even heat over the entire unit i don't have any eggs in right now but am going to set some soon i was just moving my thermometer around in there it is 99.5 under the heater and it was 95.0 under the control box that's a big gap do y'all think when i add eggs it will even out i was thinking about using my spare heater and making 2 heaters in there any one think that will work.....

I put washed pea gravel under the screen, that helped...

I also moved eggs every couple of days from warm spots to cool spots and the other way around.

I was using 9200s last year but built a big cabinet this year, no more "spots" at all.

Are you measuring the temps at top of egg height, turner height, or screen height?

If you have an old computer fan and old 6v-9v AC to DC wall adapter you can place it in the corner of the incubator, facing the diagonally opposite corner. This will push air in a double vortex and helps immensely. If you leave it in for hatching you'll have to screen it, and if you are using a turner, which takes up about all the space, you'll need to leave the front cell open on that rail and mount the fan to the lid instead of setting it in the bottom. Just be sure the fan is set across the corner so it can pull air from above and below.

I only have 12 eggs in my bator right now. So I keep them directly underneath the heater. I have noticed that if I set it to 106.3 that I will have a pretty stable temp around 101.8. It does fluctuate a bit but not by much. I actually had a temp spike yesterday where the therm read 111.9! I freaked out and had to cool my babies off. I checked them and all are atill moving well so hopefully they will all hatch on time this coming Monday.

For that reason.. I place all my eggs to either side of the heater element.. it seems to be more in the 100 degrees - rather then the spike that I have experienced when I placed them directly underneath it..... The worst spot for me in this unit is in the front corners... notoriously cooler then all the other spots.

Barnyard mix: EE roo over: SLW, Dominique = BSL, walnut comb green egg layers. EE roo over: Pioneer, BSL pea comb green egg layer, home bred BSL, EE, RIR, Rose comb brown leghorns. So, all of the chicks will be either pea or walnut comb, pullets will be either green or blue egg layers. I'm doing a bit of an experiment, if you're interested in following along: The title of the thread is: Nutrition and gender, and inducing broodiness.
Good luck!!!
fl.gif

i have the 9300 i just put the fan kit in but I'm still having problems with cold spots under the control box is alot cooler then under the heater does any one have any tricks to get a more even heat over the entire unit i don't have any eggs in right now but am going to set some soon i was just moving my thermometer around in there it is 99.5 under the heater and it was 95.0 under the control box that's a big gap do y'all think when i add eggs it will even out i was thinking about using my spare heater and making 2 heaters in there any one think that will work.....
I have the 9200 and it has the fan kit and I have the same thing. Around the perimeter under the heating element it gets 1-2 degrees warmer than the center. I leave the center bare during the incubation and use it for my sponge. And adjust my temp for the outside. And I rotate my eggs around the outsides as much as I can to insure they are not in the same spots for the duration.

well right now i made a grid 1 through 10 and I'm going to measure each box to find the best spots for the eggs I'm hoping when i load it down that it will Even it self out i just cant have another 0% hatch rate like last time what kind of hatch rates have you guys with the 9300 had

Back
Top Bottom