"Long term" storage for feed?

morganalefae

Head nut at the nut house
6 Years
May 2, 2017
Leicestershire UK
So we all know last year sucked and this year ain't all the much better. There are shortages some places worse off then others, even here in the UK there are shortages and it looks like we might have another bog roll pruchase limit put in place as the large pks have been selling out fast :hmm. So I have been prepping a little bit for the humans in the family so I don't need to go out if I don't have to plus having a lil extra just in case.

But the family animals 2 cats, choco lab, and my 20-30 strong flock of chickens I don't really have anything prepped for them other then water if something happens. I assume if I prepped the animal feeds in the same way as I have prepped the foods for us humans (thick mylar bags with oxygen pks) it will last as long as it says on the original pack or maybe a lil longer depending on fat content as I know that can go bad over time and poor storage.

The issues I face with out repacking the animal feeds in mylar bags is the brand(s) of feeds my own animals will eat come in brown paper bag type material or really thin "foil" type material that tears easily, now add we have had a few issues getting their brands on and off the last few months and well ya.

So I guess I'm asking will pet feed repacked in mylar bags with oxygen pks and kept in a cool, dry dark place last as long or maybe longer (I'm not looking at year(s) more like a handful of months past the original date) as we have had on and off issues getting their feed specially the chickens feed and I want extra on hand as my girls have start to molt like 2 months early and the leaves look like they are going 2 months early as well so I'm a lil worried.

I find animals still often get through mylar bags, and mold grows as well if things are stored for long periods of time. I have some big plastic bins from Home Depot I keep the chicken food in. Any bin with thick plastic will do, as animals can't get in. If there are no holes you can drill tiny holes for air but make sure they're not big enough to let pests in :)

I find animals still often get through mylar bags, and mold grows as well if things are stored for long periods of time. I have some big plastic bins from Home Depot I keep the chicken food in. Any bin with thick plastic will do, as animals can't get in. If there are no holes you can drill tiny holes for air but make sure they're not big enough to let pests in :)
To be fair I was thinking of putting them in thick barrels after sealing them in mylar bags and rotating them every so many months. just really need some on hand took 3 weeks to get our normal feed il then we had to pay double for a poor brand :(

Rodents have no problem chewing through plastic, only metal containers will keep them out.
At least here, dog and cat foods come with some dating on each bag, which might be clear, or in code, and should be some sort of 'sell by' date. Here poultry feed comes with an actual mill date on each bag, and should be used within a few months, at most. I like to use mine within two months, but a bit longer would have to do in an emergency.
See what's done in the UK, and plan accordingly.
Mary

Rodents have no problem chewing through plastic, only metal containers will keep them out.
At least here, dog and cat foods come with some dating on each bag, which might be clear, or in code, and should be some sort of 'sell by' date. Here poultry feed comes with an actual mill date on each bag, and should be used within a few months, at most. I like to use mine within two months, but a bit longer would have to do in an emergency.
See what's done in the UK, and plan accordingly.
Mary
Over here in the UK on the feed we buy (dog and cat) there is a best by date on animal food just like packaged human food so I have about 2 1/2-3 years on dry cat food and I think the same for the few cans I got to put aside and about a year and a half- 2 for dry dog food unsure about the chicken feed if its the same. While no doubt rodents can chew through plastic we dont have many rodents in my area and we have so many rodent traps I was told I had to many (call me paranoid). Was told as long as I stored it up high with no way for rodents to get up and into it and or they could not smell it I would have no issue with rodents. We have had a few rodents come through but traps and the local cats I think put them off of staying around. Most ppl here in the UK don't plan and unforunately most farmers I know don't have chickens but they have told me just throw it in a plastic barrel seal it put it in a shed and ur good.
If you have access to a working chest freezer, freezing the feed would probably be the best way to maintain freshness for a longer period of time.
I have thought of that but the down side would be if the power goes off for more then a few hours and I would worry about moisture wrecking the food specially in warmer months (I think we are headed to a early winter tho) plus we don't have a generator or the like and I think we will have power issues in the coming months. Although now I'm wondering if instead of using thick plastic barrels find someone selling a old chest freezer and use that to store the mylar bags of feed.

Keep in a container, keep it out of the sun, keep it dry, keep temp fluctuations minimal.

so, Mylar bags, sealed, tossed into larger container, would work fine.

Our feed is in our unheated area of the barn. We put the 50# bag into a metal can with lid. No sunlight hits it. In winter will freeze, but temp fluctuations are slow bc it’s in the barn, near the floor, out if any sunlight. No condensation is formed that we have ever seen.

cat/dog food here is good for a couple of years. So, your chicken feed has the shorter shelf life. In that case, your thoughts to seal and store in the dark is good. Temp and moisture degrade the vitamins or cause oxidation and you are addressing those concerns, so your feed should last. Getting the freshest mill date on the feed will help too.

good luck.

Even commercial feed is going to have some sort of oil which is going to turn rancid after the due date. Might go twice as long but I personally wouldn't go past that. Better if you can store whole grains where the natural oils are going to store fine for two to three years even for soybeans. A mixed grain diet isn't as good as a commercial ration but it seems like you are worried more about availability than anything else.

I would build some sort of sheet metal bin, more tall than wide and deep, and pull the feed out of the bottom of the bin so you use it up in order that it was loaded. It would need some sort of V shaped section, set three to four inches above some sort of floor. The pellets would pile up and block further movement and as you emptied the front part it would refill just fine.

If you have access to a working chest freezer, freezing the feed would probably be the best way to maintain freshness for a longer period of time.

Here in Hawaii we have to deal with shipping delays due to deliveries to weather alot of times. Now with Covid issues, TSC runs out and there's only one local feed store on this side of the Island (Big Island).

I only have 3 chickens and 2 dogs so I'm not so bad off as those that have a huge flock. It's been a couple of years now that I do as mentioned above .... Freeze my chicken feed. Last year TSC has been having the 25# FR which is perfect, lasts me a month or two (fermenting stretches it). I rebar into gallon freezer zip lock and defrost a ziplock as needed. Last month knew I'd need feed this month but all they had was the 50#, not knowing if/when the 25# would be in. I had no choice and if my friend runs short, she'll pick up from me.

As for dog food ... I now subscribe, not able to depend. on it being on the store shelves here. We've had to change dog food a couple times so decided subscribing is the best was as to not running out. Living on an Island has it's downfalls.

Back
Top Bottom