Looking for a male saint bernard

Just get him fixed. I don't mean to be mean, but just thinking your dog is beautiful isn't a reason to breed him. There is SOOOO much more to it, and you just risk adding to the already huge shelter dog population.

What state are you in I have a beautiful saint in texas akc registered he is 15 months old and I want one of his off spring before I get him fixed.

Just get him fixed. I don't mean to be mean, but just thinking your dog is beautiful isn't a reason to breed him. There is SOOOO much more to it, and you just risk adding to the already huge shelter dog population.

Agreed. "Beautiful" is not proper breeding criteria. Now, if he has multiple wins in the show ring, has had all his potential health problems evaluated (joints and eyes scored), his parents and grandparents don't have any health problems....then maybe is is a good candidate for breeding. But since you are posting on a chicken forum looking for a female dog to breed him with, yea, it is highly improbable that any of the above has happened.

Just neuter him. When you want another dog, purchase another dog. It isn't that complicated. 99% of dogs aren't special, and do not need bred.

he can't even be evaluated for hips and elbows until 2. So you have plenty of time to work on training and titles and the other necessary health tests for heart, eyes and other issues

Sadly, though, I suspect that poster, like so many others, came here just to advertise, not to converse and especially not to become informed.
idunno.gif

I doubt the most recent poster will return here but I will say a friend of mine just bred a litter of rotties from a male in town (none of them have any titles but the owner of the male thought the female was gorgeous...however, she was also promised a puppy in the deal which she turned around and sold...hmmm) The owner of the female is having trouble getting rid of some of the pups when in the beginning it seemed there were not enough homes to go around.

Puppies are cute, but large breed puppies get old and big fast and can come with high medical bills if the parents are not checked out before breeding. People will say "yes I want a pup" until it's time to take a pup and they back out.

Much easier to just buy another dog from a reputable breeder so you know more or less what the temperament will be and the health status of the parents.

Well hi there, actually I am way to far from Texas but I am still here. I get notifications obviously. First time I got one was today. I was given our male when he was two and we have had 4 healthy litters for those interested to know. No problems whatsoever it has been such an amazing experience. We are so well known and liked/loved. I stopped coming
here for the most part because the forum kinda died when they switched forums. Anyhow carry on!

Last edited:
unless you have health tested every pup you can't say that you haven't had problems. and few pet homes will spend the money to test unless they are experiencing major issues. Many genetic issues aren't noticeable until the dog is older. Since the natural instinct of the dogs is to hide pain and discomfort, testing is the only way to know for sure

Back
Top Bottom