Looking for plans similar to....

This is awesome. I am following along too! My chickens have decided that my kitchen windowsill (the outside lol) is a far better sleeping place than their brooder, so I have been looking for this kind of help. So far my building efforts have involved ample use of bungee cords and duct tape... Not very sturdy in the long term. Perhaps this is why the girls have chosen the windowsill :p

I should have told everyone, yesterday (Saturday) was hatch day. I had to move about 100 older chicks to clean out the brooders, for 187 new members of the family.
I will upload some more drawings and instructions later on tonight.

now to attach the nest box. if I have made all my measurements right, the nest box should nail directly to the posts on the back side of the coop. this picture would be a top view. remember the top is still open.
the 2x4's are mounted to the front of the box.
the blue 2x4s nail directly to posts.

set this on the floor and nail it in. you may want to add a 1x6 in front of it to help keep eggs and bedding in. once box is in place just nail it to the 2x2 on the bottom of the assembly.

Last edited:
ok, to this point I have been able to calculate most of the measurements for you. due to building methods and my lack of memory of geometry you will have to do some of the math yourself. I put in my directions to add 4 inches to measurements, this leaves some room at the bottom to attach wire directly to 2x6. if you decide to trim it out, your trim can cover this if you wish. alternatively you can measure to the bottom of the middle 2x6 and just use those measurements, but you might have to buy 1 more piece of siding. the first 2 pieces are for the run end and opposite end of the building. the run end will have 2 notches at the bottom to miss the 2x6's at the top of the run.

the first picture shows how to measure.

this picture shows how to get both from one sheet. the second is an exact copy of the first, except there will be a 1 1/2 x 4 inch notch in the bottom.

this picture is the wall opposite the run end. you might double check my measurements.

this picture is the wall on the run/flowerbox end. notice the 1 1/2 x 4 inch notches in the bottom.

Last edited:
the next move is to side around the nest box. getting both ends out of one sheet is tricky here, cut the blank wall first (no openings). be careful not to over run your cut as there isn't a lot of room for play. the pink/red color in the picture is scrap to help you along. the piece on the left is the door side. the piece on the right is the nest box side. when I refer to the peak, it is the bottom side of the peak of the roof exactly how the siding would lay.

cut the left side first. then measure from the straight end of the sheet to get your bottom of the second piece.

put siding on all sides but door side. this will help hold everything square, and really stiffen it up.

Last edited:
determine how tall you want the coop door. run a 2x4 from post to post to support the top of the door frame. the bottom of the 2x4 will be the top of the door frame.

have a helper hold the plywood up where it belongs, and mark the floor line. simply follow the floor marking the siding. from that line measure up and mark the height of the door (same distance as 2x4 from floor. determine location of the door, and its width. mark it on the siding, and cut out the marked square. leave siding all around the door, this adds strength.
this cut can be challenging, if your not familiar with your circular saw, let someone who is make the cut. alternatively you could drill holes in the corners and use a jig saw to cut out the door.

install your siding, trim around it with 1x4. subtract 1/2 inch each way and build a door frame out of 2x2 (keep in mind to subtract 3 inches for overlap either up and down or side to side).

put on your wire of choice. then cut some small plywood triangles for the corners. it should look like this:

when installing, the plywood goes to the back side. this door should hinge from the top. I prefer this just in case someone forgets to latch the door. it also closes better as bedding wont get caught up in it as bad.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom