Looking for plans similar to....

for the flower box, use treated 2x6 or 2x8 lumber. cut and assemble as shown.

install on top of run as shown, use scrap 2x4 to cross the joint and screw or nail together. I would angle the 2x4 down toward the far end of the coop to allow for better drainage that is not in the coop. the scrap 2x4 that holds this together will also hold the floor in. cut them about 45"

choose a place for your run door. cut and add (2) 2x4s and install as shown (dark brown in pic). this will hold your wire on later. take the width and height measurement, subtract 3x4 inch from each. assemble your run door as described in post #47 build out of 2x4, remember to subtract 7 inches from the height so the 2x4's fit flush instead of overlapping. I would use at least 3 hinges.

now for the nest box lid.
cut a piece of leftover siding 39 iinches wide, and 16 inches long (keeps lines running in same direction) cut a 39 inch long 2x2 and two pieces 13 1/2 inches attach as shown. leave a space at the back so the 2x2 does not hit the siding when lid is closed.

with at least 3 hinges use bolts and bold this through your siding and through the lid. use 2 latches to hold it shut.

from here you would use a 6 foot 1x12 with scrap pieces across for the ramp to enter. you could also use furring strips across for a more finished look. nail this to the floor of the coop and make sure no nail sticks up.

wrap your run in wire, securing it well. (I use pneumatic stapler, regular staples will work too, but harder to drive)
trim as desired, paint or stain. plant your flowers and add chickens.

this coop should hold 6 large chickens comfortably. 8 silkies would probably fit well.

Awesome, thank you!

I think you mentioned rot or something in the bottom of the flower box? What if I used a scrap piece of linoleum or a heavy plastic as the base/over the wood/etc? Would that help the longevity?

Awesome, thank you!

I think you mentioned rot or something in the bottom of the flower box? What if I used a scrap piece of linoleum or a heavy plastic as the base/over the wood/etc? Would that help the longevity?
yes it would help. i would paint it inside with a good water sealer. then i would line it with plastic, on the low end drill a few 1/2" or so holes for water drainage.

also for the winter months you could cover the door with Plexiglas personally i would use screws to hold it on, and reuse the same piece from year to year. drill holes through Plexiglas slightly larger than the threads on the screw.

Awesome, thank you!

Yes, that will definitely help, but eventually the wood is going to rot. Don't expect more than a few years out of the flower box. I plan on sealing mine with a product like Kilz, and then lining the bottom with heavy plastic and stapling it to the sides. With some drainage holes. I think I'm building the coop planter this weekend, can't wait!

i have been thinking on the flower box issue more. if you have red cedar available to you, it might be a better choice of wood. if your going with sawmill lumber and they don't have cedar you might ask about locust. if you use the cedar keep it away from where you are putting your coop when you cut it as its dust may be toxic to chickens.

I just wanted to say to loveourbirds, that was just fantastic of you to post all those instructions like that! You are obviously very gifted with the ability to build and teach! I am going to try to figure out how to save these plans, as I would like my husband to build this coop for me someday. It's adorable! Thank you so much for taking so much of your own time to share with others!

Does anyone know how many chickens this will house? We have 4 Buff Orphingtons currently and are thinking of adding a couple more, probably easter eggers, next year. I was hoping to have a coop that will comfortably house 6 and this looks a little small.

this coop will hold 6 hens or 5 and a rooster. with large breeds like orpingtons you may want to build it larger on the run area. of course this would mess up the directions, but if you made it 6 feet wide and 12 feet long, leaving the flower box off it would work pretty well for you. you could also build it as is and add another 4x8 run beside of it before you put the wire on.

Back
Top Bottom