Lost one chick

aw that's a shame, the chick escaped imo. There are two places I see of concern. The first is that the green wire doesn't cover the top so a chick could easily jump out there. Some of my bantams can fly up to 70cm height at 3 weeks age, then they start becoming fatter and can't fly as high anymore but there is a week where their light body weight can make them reach very high. The other worry is that the green netting to the other side is just resting on the ground so possibly one managed to lift it and squeeze under it. It was one of these two routes it found. No chicken will have pulled it out thrugh those holes.

this is what I see when I look at that picture:
View attachment 2641043
The mesh is stapled to the floor.

I’ll go ahead and add to the top of the mesh on the front

I fixed the mesh to keep the chicks from jumping out, but I believe that I have reason to suspect that one of the hens is the aggressor. For the time being I’m barring them from the landing.

Attachments

• D54AE2A5-64CB-43EE-82FA-D525A6C30603.jpeg
    D54AE2A5-64CB-43EE-82FA-D525A6C30603.jpeg
    637.4 KB · Views: 1
  • 05E6A0B9-6AFD-4CCA-A0A0-0CDBD5FB086B.jpeg
    05E6A0B9-6AFD-4CCA-A0A0-0CDBD5FB086B.jpeg
    741.1 KB · Views: 1
Glad you posted additional photos, I hadn't realized the green mesh didn't fully cover the front. Brooders must be fully enclosed, chicks are very creative in finding ways to escape or kill themselves. I agree that it's likely the chick unfortunately jumped out.

Back
Top Bottom