"Louisiana "La-yers" Peeps"

Cotton candy lip balm wouldn't do it for me -- I'd be licking it off & keep my lips chapped!
gig.gif
the soap sounds lovely; you make such nice soap! I've seen my girls laying around in the sun, too. Silly birds!
I'm glad you liked the soap! Maybe I will get around to selling it someday soon.

Hey all just thought I would give a capon update all are doing good . The one whose parts I could not find I think it was a female with bad or malformed ovaries causing him/her to take on male qualities like large combs and wattles !!

Does anyone else have problems with redbugs around their coop area. The spot I cleared out of wooded area for mine is infested and I'm tryibg to figure out what I should do before releasing my chickens in the area

Keep us posted on their growth. I wish you good luck with them.
thumbsup.gif

What do you plan on feeding them?

If I had a plucker, I wouldn't mind getting some Cornish but that's a lot of work to process but some good eating.
big_smile.png
I am starting out on non medicated chick starter I bought at the feed mill that I will ferment. I have been looking at a thread about fermented feed for meat birds for when they get off the chick starter however no one has mentioned what grains you need for a healthy diet for them. If I can find out what grains I will need for the correct protein amount than I will continue it with those. If not I have a half ton of grower/finisher and a half ton of 20% protein layer feed that I can ferment. When I started with my flock I bought in bulk as I planned on keeping them for a long time and everyone knows you always end up with more.

If there's anyone around or willing to drive to Jefferson Parish (Metairie to be exact), I have a sweet and adorable juvenile Rhode Island Red rooster that I sadly have to give away to a good home. He's 2.5 months old, and we were hoping he was a female since we got him at a few days old, but he's started developing the tail feathers of a rooster, and this morning he just started crowing for the first time repeatedly at 6:30. As a result, we won't be able to keep him in our neighborhood.
He's very people friendly, and we really would like to give him to someone who isn't going to eat him for dinner. Please contact me with a private message if you are interested in taking him ASAP.

Last edited:
I am starting out on non medicated chick starter I bought at the feed mill that I will ferment. I have been looking at a thread about fermented feed for meat birds for when they get off the chick starter however no one has mentioned what grains you need for a healthy diet for them. If I can find out what grains I will need for the correct protein amount than I will continue it with those. If not I have a half ton of grower/finisher and a half ton of 20% protein layer feed that I can ferment. When I started with my flock I bought in bulk as I planned on keeping them for a long time and everyone knows you always end up with more.

I raised my spring batch of meat birds non-medicated chick starter that was fermented also. I had Cornish x. I did not lose 1 chick! Butchered at 8 weeks and some were over 7lbs. I'm sure yours will do great as well. The only thing I wish i could have done was put them on pasture. I have seen you tube videos that show Cornish x foraging beautifully..........someday.......someday. I have never tasted such yummy chicken! Hope you get to share pics!

I raised my spring batch of meat birds non-medicated chick starter that was fermented also. I had Cornish x. I did not lose 1 chick! Butchered at 8 weeks and some were over 7lbs. I'm sure yours will do great as well. The only thing I wish i could have done was put them on pasture. I have seen you tube videos that show Cornish x foraging beautifully..........someday.......someday. I have never tasted such yummy chicken! Hope you get to share pics!

I am building a run for them right now, just have to wait for the paint to dry so I can put it together. I found the same design for meat bird runs so many times on this site that I decided to build one. I will be posting pictures and keeping track as this is my first batch for meat. I ordered a camera yesterday after searching for a year for mine, then I found mine today...go figure, that's kids for you! Do you not have the space or is it a problem with containment? I hope they forage as I have an overload of quarter sized frogs and large earthworms. I have a cross fenced yard and the wild ducks and geese have cleared their area of the small frogs, I plan to put the broilers in the middle of them, and my flock on the other side have eaten them all. My current flock will fly over the fence and nudge the lawn mower wheel because every time I mow it sends a good amount of frogs and bugs to them.

I am building a run for them right now, just have to wait for the paint to dry so I can put it together. I found the same design for meat bird runs so many times on this site that I decided to build one. I will be posting pictures and keeping track as this is my first batch for meat. I ordered a camera yesterday after searching for a year for mine, then I found mine today...go figure, that's kids for you! Do you not have the space or is it a problem with containment? I hope they forage as I have an overload of quarter sized frogs and large earthworms. I have a cross fenced yard and the wild ducks and geese have cleared their area of the small frogs, I plan to put the broilers in the middle of them, and my flock on the other side have eaten them all. My current flock will fly over the fence and nudge the lawn mower wheel because every time I mow it sends a good amount of frogs and bugs to them.
Awesome. We always love pictures!

I have heard of many people trying to free-range the Cornish Xs and doing fine. As a general rule regular feed from the local store works great and will have everything they need. Fermenting makes it healthier and they eat less so it's cheaper. But if they can forage some then that's even better. I am not sure if broilers will be able to fly over the fence though. If they can then you have to worry about them getting eaten when they get older and slower. Just keep an eye on them.

Sometimes I hear that broilers are "dumb as rocks" and move about as much as rocks too, and sometimes I hear that they act like a normal chicken. I guess it just depends.

How are you going to process that many? Bunch of people? I'm interested in it and have the room but I would be worried about processing a bunch. It takes us like 10-15 minutes a bird, one person. And of course you can't wait because they get to big.

Back
Top Bottom