"Louisiana "La-yers" Peeps"

Getting ready to order the ISA brown pullets for my egg business. BUT, Lazy Gardener said to do half and half EE so I can get colored eggs for the customers. I know nothing about EE's . I like the CC Legbar over white Leghorn. Super Blue egg layer. But the tiny eggs I've been getting this week are almost white. Very blue tinge. Maybe I should just go with the Legbar's. Better color. Pam, how good are they at laying.. Grow out time? Should I just get the ISA brown's and add the other's later? Someone said to buy CCL and some white leghorns and make my own. How loud are they. I'm looking for a very docile bird with a rooster that's not insanely loud. I've got time to ponder, not placing the order until the first week of Feb

I checked out Sandhill Preservation just to see when they were starting up for the year. They have the new catalog out and checking it over, I noticed that the Marraduna Basques are sold out for the entire year. Wow. Someone wants them. I'll be buying some more from Laura in Tx. soon. Cute little devils. I only hatched 2 and want more. Sandhill has good New Hampshires and Delawares if I can't get them from somewhere else. Quality not as good but the size is there. Much better than going the hatchery route.
I have EE, and OE hatching eggs for sale, 10$ per dzn. + 12.65 shipping, they are French black copper marans roo over blue/green/olive egg layers, they lay a large egg,

Last edited:
Getting ready to order the ISA brown pullets for my egg business.  BUT,  Lazy Gardener said to do half and half EE so I can get colored eggs for the customers.  I know nothing about EE's .  I like the CC Legbar over white Leghorn.  Super Blue egg layer.  But the tiny eggs I've been getting this week are almost white.  Very blue tinge.  Maybe I should just go with the Legbar's.  Better color.  Pam, how good are they at laying..  Grow out time?  Should I just get the ISA brown's and add the other's later?  Someone said to buy CCL and some white leghorns and make my own.  How loud are they.  I'm looking for a very docile bird with a rooster that's not insanely loud.  I've got time to ponder, not placing the order until the first week of Feb 

I checked out Sandhill Preservation just to see when they were starting up for the year.   They have the new catalog out and checking it over, I noticed that the Marraduna Basques are sold out for the entire year.  Wow.  Someone wants them.    I'll be buying some more from Laura in Tx. soon.  Cute little devils.  I only hatched 2 and want more.  Sandhill has good New Hampshires and Delawares if I can't get them from somewhere else.  Quality not as good but the size is  there.  Much better than going the hatchery route.   

Depending on the sun I get 4 to 6 eggs per week. They are reliable layers. The are docile can be flighty if not handled as chicks to poulets. They are great free Rangers . The aren't overly noisey. The roo will crow more till your flock works out head rooster. Getting them as chicks or hatching eggs you probably have that issue.
I was wondering how legbars x leghorn could make a bluer egg. The start out on the small size for eggs them get larger as time goes on .

The chicks are about 5 days old now. All is going well. All they do is chirp, run around, eat, drink, and poop. Sometimes they do it all at once, lol. I was able to catch a rare moment when they are all asleep ant the same time.

Does anyone add any vitamins or anything to their water? I picked up some distilled water (1gal Jugs) because I do not know the fluoride and chlorine content of my tap water.

You know, it's funny, every time I've received chicks or hatched any I've run around trying to do the best I can. ACV in water, nutri drench in water Immediately started with fermented feed for extra healthiness, but this time. Nada. Chick starter, fresh water. Period. They are doing great. I will be starting them on the fermented feed this week. I just don't have any made that doesn't have grains. I'll be moving them out to the storeroom in a day or two and will give them a lot more running room. Now with shipped chicks, it's gonna be a whole new ballpark. They will need the extra vitamins and elec. from the nutri drench. These are just my 4 home hatched babies.

Quote: at one week, i crush a clove of garlic and let it sit in water over night, then give the chicks fresh water with about 2 ounces of garlic water to a quart jar waterer, at the end of the day, i change the water back to fresh water, i read that this helps to prevent coccidiosis, Coccidiosis & How To Treat It
Great tip, topdog!!!! Thanks
highfive.gif

Edited: How much water to use to soak the garlic?

Last edited:
Depending on the sun I get 4 to 6 eggs per week. They are reliable layers. The are docile can be flighty if not handled as chicks to poulets. They are great free Rangers . The aren't overly noisey. The roo will crow more till your flock works out head rooster. Getting them as chicks or hatching eggs you probably have that issue.
I was wondering how legbars x leghorn could make a bluer egg. The start out on the small size for eggs them get larger as time goes on .
My tiny egg is a little whiter than yours. But they are supposed to get the laying abilities of the leghorn. Super egg layers. Something to think about later. I don't think any breed will give you the wonderful blue color your are anticipating. I, too, thought I was buying an egg that would get me a super bright blue color. Live and learn.
wink.png

I have EE, and OE hatching eggs for sale, 10$ per dzn. + 12.65 shipping, they are French black copper marans roo over blue/green/olive egg layers, they lay a large egg,

Yeah, topdog, I definitely want some of those. But my hatch rate with this cheapo incubator is not much. I've spent over $100 on hatching eggs in the last 6 mo and have 8 to show for it. And one of those were killed by a predator. This is not counting the $ 75 I spent with DMRippy for 33 eggs and 22 hatched. Super Blue egg layers. She's out of business or I'd order again. I need to make arrangements with a quasy buddy to let me use some space in his big incubator I'll be in touch.
celebrate.gif

Edited for content: One question. The eggs in your carton. Are these the color that the new ones will come out. Or will they be more olive with the Maran mixture. I'm wanting birds that lay blue-green. More so than dark brown.

Last edited:
My tiny egg is a little whiter than yours.  But they are supposed to get the laying abilities of the leghorn.  Super egg layers.  Something to think about later.  I don't think any breed will give you the wonderful blue color your are anticipating.   I, too, thought I was buying an egg that would get me a super bright blue color. Live and learn.   ;)

The eggs are more blue than the pic shows and a little darker pigment in person. Easter eggers are a good breed for eggs they are lighter in color run green to slate blue. I crossed my legbar Roo with a Easter egger hen. Can't wait to see what color the eggs turn out. That's an idea to darken your blue layers.I thought I had two olive eggers a maren legbar mix one lays olive the other a lighter brown than a maren. Pam

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom