"Louisiana "La-yers" Peeps"

I don't know -- I'm reading they are hard to raise & like to be in flocks - 3-4? 5-6? a dozen? How many do you have? lol - how many guineas does it take for them to be happy & stay home?

I wonder if I hatched eggs would they imprint like the chickens do & maybe stay closer to home. I'd like to free range them during the day but they definitely need to be back in the chicken coop at night or the owls will get them.

Terri,
I didn't find my guineas hard to raise at all. I always tried to hatch out some chicks whenever I
was hatching out guineas and raised them together for a while. After I move them from the brooder to the
pens I put the chicks and keets in the same coops and leave them shut up for a week or so before I start turning them
out. As they get older I take the chicks and put in a different coop and keep the guineas to themselves but turn them all
out together to free range and have not had a problem with them not wanting to go back to the pen at night. The last guineas
that I raised were kinda nuts. I could come out of the house and call for them and had a male that would come and fly up
on my shoulder and would stay perched there as long as I let him. Then when we would try to go somewhere in the car or
truck we would have to stop and run them back to the house as they would try to follow us like they were dogs.
As long as you keep them warm and dry while they are young you shouldn't have any problems at all.

Gracie, can you get some more information?? Like times and an address?? I've got some chicks I HAVE to get rid of. I missed everything this past weekend due to family issues and am stuck right now with all these birds!!

Thanks a bunch!

Missi I didn't get to get back in touch with you this past weekend but haven't forgot about the jelly.
Called a friend in Denham Saturday morning and she said it was raing then so I didn't make it to Watson.
Will get it to you soon.

Anyone went to the Monroe Swap?

Will you be at the Opelousas swap Julie? And BTW I STILL have NO lambs
barnie.gif
What are these girls waiting on?!?!

I'll be getting my new pair this weekend though
wee.gif

welcome-byc.gif
You just missed the Monroe swap but Opelousas is only a brief drive down the Interstate -- come meet us! and there are a few La-yers up your way. What are you looking for?

Awww...RATS!!! Info on the Opelousas? I'd like to add some more Buff Orps and I just found out that our 'mystery chicken' was a dark brahma, so we'd like to get her some more brahma buddies! :) Also thinking about some sebastol geese (sp) or ducks. Who knows what I'll pick up! LOL

thanks!!

Didnt make it myself Julie had my wifes dads passing to deal with so havent been around much.

Whoevers gettin pea eggs
tongue.gif
lol

Congrats Terri on the geese I havent gotten an egg to hatch yet. Got a broody goose setting around 10 so hoping she has better eggs or at least better at hatchin em than me.

Hi to all the newbies

Kuntrygirl, I don't really know what happened with the Hyde plant. Someone in my homeschool group told me the place had reopened and she thought they were doing chicken. I am going crazy over here. I only got meaties because I found a place in Independence that did poultry. Now that the birds are ready, the place is closed because they "had some problems". Now I have 18 birds to be processed and no one to do them. I need them gone so I can put my young geese in there so I have the brooder for my buff runners (which come in today). Ugh! Guess I'm going to have to try to sell the meaties.

Last edited:

Didnt make it myself Julie had my wifes dads passing to deal with so havent been around much. 

Whoevers gettin pea eggs :tongue  lol

Congrats Terri on the geese I havent gotten an egg to hatch yet. Got a broody goose setting around 10 so hoping she has better eggs or at least better at hatchin em than me.

Hi to all the newbies 

Sorry to hear about your wife's dad passing Mike. :hugs

To whoever is giving me the :tongue on getting pea eggs, then I say this to them. :plbb :tongue LOL :lau

Congrats on the broody goose. Sending you good vibes for a great hatch! :fl I have totally given up on my geese. They are terrible at hatching their own eggs. :lau

Great to see you on Mike.

Will you be at the Opelousas swap Julie?  And BTW  I STILL have NO lambs :barnie What are these girls waiting on?!?!

I'll be getting my new pair this weekend though :weee

Yes, I will go for a few minutes. I won't be selling anything and I won't be buying anything. I'll just be walking around looking. :)

I'm preparing to take my big boy to the slaughter house in a couple weeks. Then I will have 1 ram left. Will then have all females in the sheep pen.

Congrats on getting your new pair. Can't wait to see them. Post a lot of pics of them. :ya

Kuntrygirl, I don't really know what happened with the Hyde plant. Someone in my homeschool group told me the place had reopened and she thought they were doing chicken. I am going crazy over here. I only got meaties because I found a place in Independence that did poultry. Now that the birds are ready, the place is closed because they "had some problems". Now I have 18 birds to be processed and no one to do them. I need them gone so I can put my young geese in there so I have the brooder for my buff runners (which come in today). Ugh! Guess I'm going to have to try to sell the meaties.

I will send you a phone number that I think are them. I contacted them a while back but the asking price was too high. Let me check my email and send you this number.

Back
Top Bottom